Enlistment is ending, seeking advise on applying to universitys

  • Topic: Schools 
  • Thread starter Thread starter mnmman
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Advise
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
mnmman
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
Hello PF members,
I'm a 21 year old combat engineer in the marine corps. My 4 year contract is about to end next July and I want to start preparing myself for undergrad school. I've already started the application process (for fall of 2013), but some of it's confusing. It asks for high school counselor info. Really?, I'm supposed to remember my counselor, let alone they are supposed to remember me? I'd like to get a degree in chemistry and hopefully one day go to grad school. Does anybody know if there's a way to get the VA to help pay for grad school? I was a C student in math up to Algebra II. Should I try to learn calculus before I go to school? Anyway we deploy soon for 7 months and Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance, so I'm trying to do all I can do with this little time to prepare for next July. Any advise is very much appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It asks for high school counselor info. Really?, I'm supposed to remember my counselor, let alone they are supposed to remember me?

Call school, ask what's up with this and if there's a way around it. Explain circumstances. I was a homeschooled student, so obviously I had no high school counselor - yet I got into my engineering program just fine.

I'd like to get a degree in chemistry and hopefully one day go to grad school. Does anybody know if there's a way to get the VA to help pay for grad school?

Call VA or go to VA website, ask question. You got to learn to attack problems at their source.

I was a C student in math up to Algebra II. Should I try to learn calculus before I go to school?

It is advisable, yes. Consider entering a community college first. I don't know how competitive your combat engineering background will make you, but you'll be competing against kids who made A's in math and took two semesters worth of calculus for admission. It is usually a good idea to match their accomplishments if you want to get into a school.

Any advise is very much appreciated.

Never give up, never surrender. Your military background will be a benefit for you, so if you can match the experiences of your peers in the classroom, you'll be a shoe-in for admission.