Enlistment is ending, seeking advise on applying to universitys

• Schools
  • Thread starter mnmman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Advise
In summary, the conversation discusses a 21-year-old combat engineer in the marine corps who is preparing for undergraduate school after their 4-year contract ends. They are confused by the application process and are unsure if they should learn calculus before starting school. They also inquire about the possibility of the VA helping with grad school expenses and seek advice from others. The conversation ends with a reminder to never give up and use their military background to their advantage in the academic world.
mnmman
Hello PF members,
I'm a 21 year old combat engineer in the marine corps. My 4 year contract is about to end next July and I want to start preparing myself for undergrad school. I've already started the application process (for fall of 2013), but some of it's confusing. It asks for high school counselor info. Really?, I'm supposed to remember my counselor, let alone they are supposed to remember me? I'd like to get a degree in chemistry and hopefully one day go to grad school. Does anybody know if there's a way to get the VA to help pay for grad school? I was a C student in math up to Algebra II. Should I try to learn calculus before I go to school? Anyway we deploy soon for 7 months and Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance, so I'm trying to do all I can do with this little time to prepare for next July. Any advise is very much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
It asks for high school counselor info. Really?, I'm supposed to remember my counselor, let alone they are supposed to remember me?

Call school, ask what's up with this and if there's a way around it. Explain circumstances. I was a homeschooled student, so obviously I had no high school counselor - yet I got into my engineering program just fine.

I'd like to get a degree in chemistry and hopefully one day go to grad school. Does anybody know if there's a way to get the VA to help pay for grad school?

Call VA or go to VA website, ask question. You got to learn to attack problems at their source.

I was a C student in math up to Algebra II. Should I try to learn calculus before I go to school?

It is advisable, yes. Consider entering a community college first. I don't know how competitive your combat engineering background will make you, but you'll be competing against kids who made A's in math and took two semesters worth of calculus for admission. It is usually a good idea to match their accomplishments if you want to get into a school.

Any advise is very much appreciated.

Never give up, never surrender. Your military background will be a benefit for you, so if you can match the experiences of your peers in the classroom, you'll be a shoe-in for admission.

1. What are the deadlines for university applications?

The deadlines for university applications vary depending on the university and program you are applying to. It is important to check the specific deadlines for each university you are interested in and make sure to submit your application before the deadline.

2. Can I apply to multiple universities at the same time?

Yes, you can apply to multiple universities at the same time. However, keep in mind that each university may have their own application process and requirements. You may also need to pay separate application fees for each university.

3. What documents do I need to submit with my university application?

The required documents may vary depending on the university and program you are applying to. Generally, you will need to submit your high school transcripts, standardized test scores (such as SAT or ACT), letters of recommendation, and a personal statement or essay. Make sure to check the specific requirements for each university.

4. Is it better to apply to universities early or wait until the deadline?

It is generally recommended to apply early as it can increase your chances of admission. Some universities have early decision or early action deadlines, which may offer a higher chance of acceptance. However, make sure to only apply when your application is complete and represents your best work.

5. What should I consider when choosing a university to apply to?

When choosing a university, consider factors such as the program offerings, location, size, cost, and student life. It is important to research and visit the universities you are interested in to get a better understanding of the campus and community. Also, consider your academic and career goals when selecting a university.