Entangled photon polarization correlation

In summary: It is "as if" both take on a definite polarization when one takes on a definite polarization. There is no sense in which the ordering of that collapse matters.b) When collapse occurs, it is not necessary that *all* entanglement ends. Just on the related bases for the measurement. For example, they could remain frequency/momentum entangled even though they are no longer polarization entangled.
gespex
Hello everyone,

I've got a quick question... Given two entangled photons, going through a polarization filter with relative angle a, what is the correlation between the two "answers" (whether the photon is blocked or let through)?
I believe it's either cos(a) or cos^2(a), but I'm not sure which of the two.

If we do the test in sequence, with the same photon, then the correlation is cos^2(a), is that correct?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
If analyzer A is set at an angle [itex]\alpha[/itex] and analyzer B at an angle [itex]\beta[/itex] then the probability that both photons (of the entangled pair) pass the analyzer is:

[tex]P_{AB}(\alpha,\beta) = \frac{1}{2}\text{cos}^2(\alpha-\beta)[/tex]

A derivation is given in Gregor Weih's dissertation, see page 26, Eq (1.40) and (1.41). The setup is on page 25.

I'm not sure though what you mean with the second question.

Edgardo said:
If analyzer A is set at an angle [itex]\alpha[/itex] and analyzer B at an angle [itex]\beta[/itex] then the probability that both photons (of the entangled pair) pass the analyzer is:

[tex]P_{AB}(\alpha,\beta) = \frac{1}{2}\text{cos}^2(\alpha-\beta)[/tex]

A derivation is given in Gregor Weih's dissertation, see page 26, Eq (1.40) and (1.41). The setup is on page 25.

I'm not sure though what you mean with the second question.

Thank you for your answer!

My second question was more a confirmation, as I'm quite sure about it. Let's say we have a photon that went through polarization filter at 0 degrees, and we have a second polarization filter at [itex]\alpha[/itex] degrees, the chance it goes through the second polarization filter is:
[tex]\text{cos}^2 \alpha[/tex]

Right?

(I like those tex tags!)

gespex said:
Thank you for your answer!

My second question was more a confirmation, as I'm quite sure about it. Let's say we have a photon that went through polarization filter at 0 degrees, and we have a second polarization filter at [itex]\alpha[/itex] degrees, the chance it goes through the second polarization filter is:
[tex]\text{cos}^2 \alpha[/tex]

Right?

(I like those tex tags!)

Yes, correct. This is Malus's law.

Thanks for your help!

I am confused by this whole entanglement thing - on one breathe when measurement occurs, both photons assume a definite polarisation and from this point on are no longer entangled. Yet, if we measure one photon before sending the other through a polariser orientated at a certain angle (rather than vertical or horizontal), we find the results are still correlated. Or is it that, if the photon going through the 2nd polariser had a definite polarisation, even if it were not entangled the pass/fail rate is still the same as if it were entangled?

StevieTNZ said:
I am confused by this whole entanglement thing - on one breathe when measurement occurs, both photons assume a definite polarisation and from this point on are no longer entangled. Yet, if we measure one photon before sending the other through a polariser orientated at a certain angle (rather than vertical or horizontal), we find the results are still correlated. Or is it that, if the photon going through the 2nd polariser had a definite polarisation, even if it were not entangled the pass/fail rate is still the same as if it were entangled?

We don't know the moment or mechanism by which entanglement ends. We can make these statements:

a) It is "as if" both take on a definite polarization when one takes on a definite polarization. There is no sense in which the ordering of that collapse matters.

b) When collapse occurs, it is not necessary that *all* entanglement ends. Just on the related bases for the measurement. For example, they could remain frequency/momentum entangled even though they are no longer polarization entangled.

1. What is entangled photon polarization correlation?

Entangled photon polarization correlation refers to the phenomenon where two photons, which are particles of light, become correlated in their polarization states. This means that the polarization of one photon is dependent on the polarization of the other, even when the two photons are separated by large distances.

2. How do photons become entangled?

Photons can become entangled through a process called spontaneous parametric down-conversion. This occurs when a high-energy photon is split into two lower-energy photons, and the polarization states of the two resulting photons become correlated.

3. What is the significance of entangled photon polarization correlation?

Entangled photon polarization correlation is significant because it demonstrates the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics, specifically the concept of non-locality. It also has potential applications in quantum communication and cryptography.

4. How is entangled photon polarization correlation measured?

Entangled photon polarization correlation can be measured through a Bell test, which involves measuring the polarization of both photons and comparing the results. If the measurements show correlation, then the photons are entangled.

5. What are potential practical applications of entangled photon polarization correlation?

Entangled photon polarization correlation has potential applications in quantum communication, where the correlated photons can be used to transmit information securely over long distances. It also has potential uses in quantum computing, where the correlated states of the photons can be used for quantum information processing.