Entanglement/event horizon red/blue shift

In summary, two entangled particles are sent in opposite directions, one towards an event horizon with increasing gravity causing a blue shift, while the other experiences a simultaneous decrease in gravity causing a red shift. The question of whether they will stay entangled depends on the nature of gravity. From a non-quantum perspective, any change in energy does not affect entanglement. However, from a quantum perspective, if there is spin interaction between the particles, there may be decoherence. The possibility of measuring entanglement properties other than spin, such as with transmission lines, is currently being explored but there is not enough evidence to accurately answer the question of what happens in the given scenario.
Mordred
Heres the scenario 2 entangled particles one sent to an event Horizon due to the increase in gravity it will blue shift. The other particle at the same time is sent in the opposite direction. For purpose of this let's say that the force of gravity is simultaneously reducing. In a manner that you have an equal redshift.

What happens on the information of the entangled particles ?

For now I'd like to avoid any beyond the event horizon considerations.

edit: Will they stay entangled ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That depends on an assumption about gravity. If it is NOT a quantum force, then the shifting will not break entanglement. If gravity is a quantum force, then the answer is not as clear.

Well that statement definitely side swiped me lol. I would appreciate an expansion on how the quantum gravity will differ vs entanglement compared to the relativity view point of gravity.

In light of that response perhaps asking what occurs when you have two simultaneous, equal but opposite changes in information occurs between two entangled particles.
Assuming the entanglement is maintained.
Or is that scenario paradoxial in basis?

Mordred said:
Well that statement definitely side swiped me lol. I would appreciate an expansion on how the quantum gravity will differ vs entanglement compared to the relativity view point of gravity.

Looking at things from the non-quantum GR perspective: any change in system energy does not disturb entanglement in any way at all. The combined pair could gain energy without any issue.

The quantum view of gravity is more complicated. If their were spin interaction and it was possible, in principle, to detect that, then there would be decoherence.

KK that makes sense, I've been looking over various quantum entanglement articles trying to find the mathematics for entanglement measuring properties other than spin. Turns out that's not very easy to find. One example I found involved transmission lines.

http://arxiv.org/abs/1210.4413

this is the article that had me thinking about the scenario I described above. Judging from searches only and the difficulty in finding examples I have to conclude that the other portion of my question is not really answerable accurately at this time.

1. What is entanglement and how does it relate to event horizon red/blue shift?

Entanglement is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where two particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle can affect the state of the other, regardless of the distance between them. Event horizon red/blue shift refers to the change in the wavelength of light as it approaches a black hole's event horizon. Entangled particles can also experience red/blue shift simultaneously, even if they are separated by the event horizon.

2. How does entanglement affect our understanding of event horizon red/blue shift?

Entanglement plays a crucial role in our understanding of event horizon red/blue shift. It helps us explain how particles on either side of the event horizon can experience red/blue shift at the same time. It also allows us to study the behavior of particles near a black hole's event horizon, which would otherwise be impossible due to the strong gravitational pull.

3. Can entanglement exist across the event horizon of a black hole?

Yes, entanglement can exist across the event horizon of a black hole. The entangled particles may experience different red/blue shifts due to the black hole's strong gravitational pull, but their states will remain connected. This has been observed in various experiments and simulations.

4. How does event horizon red/blue shift affect the perception of time?

As an object approaches a black hole's event horizon, time appears to slow down for an outside observer. This is due to the immense gravitational pull of the black hole, which causes light to slow down near the event horizon. This phenomenon is known as gravitational time dilation and is a result of the red/blue shift of light.

5. Can entanglement be used to communicate across the event horizon of a black hole?

No, entanglement cannot be used for communication across the event horizon of a black hole. While the entangled particles remain connected, they cannot be used to transmit information as they are affected by the black hole's gravitational pull. Additionally, any attempt to observe the state of an entangled particle near the event horizon would result in its collapse, making it impossible to retrieve any information from it.