Entire functions and polynomials

In summary: Now if we take the complex conjugate of g, we get h(z)=-1/f(1/z)which maps the unit disk into itself again, but in the opposite direction. So if we take the real part of h, we get z=g(h(z))which is the fundamental solution to the equation g(z) = 1/f(1/z). This function has a singularity at z=1, which is where the unit disk merges into itself.In summary, the function g(z) has a singularity at z=1, which is where the unit disk merges into itself.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi: I am trying to show:

If f is analytic in C (i.e., f is entire) and : |z|>1 implies |f(z)|>1.
Prove that f(z) is a polynomial.

I have tried using the fact that f(z)=Suma_nz^n (Taylor series) valid in the whole of C,

and derive a contradiction assuming |f(z)|>1 for |z|>1 . I checked that the "standard"

non-poly. functions, e.g., e^z, sinz , were not counterexamples (they're not).

Obviously, if this result were false for f(z) non-polynomial, then f(z) would need to

have all its zeros( if any) inside of S^1, which is not impossible), and any poly.

satisfying above condition should also have its zeros inside of S^1.

I have considered using the fact that any f analytic has a singularity at oo (follows

from Liouville's), but this only works if the singularity is an essential singularity; is

this true, that any non-poly. analytic function has an essential singularity at oo ?.

Any other ideasa?

Physics news on Phys.org
The important fact in this case, which follows from Casorati-Weierstrass, is that the singularity at [tex]\infty[/tex] is not an essential one (so it is a pole or removable). A pole at [tex]\infty[/tex] can be "removed" by adding a suitable polynomial, just like a pole in [tex]\mathbb{C}[/tex] can be removed by substracting the principal part. The result then follows from Liouville.

btw, the only meromorphic functions [tex]\bar{\mathbb{C}} \to \bar{\mathbb{C}}[/tex] are rational functions.

Yes, thanks, I realized it right after posting it.

Are you referring to the Mobius maps (az+b)/(cz+d) ?. I don't see how that
relates here.

WWGD said:
Are you referring to the Mobius maps (az+b)/(cz+d) ?. I don't see how that
relates here.

By "rational map" I mean any quotient of polynomials (the Möbius transformations are the bijective ones). My statement implies that the answer to

is this true, that any non-poly. analytic function has an essential singularity at oo ?.

is yes.

Please don't assume this will lead to the right answer, but the first thing that occurs to me is that it might be easier to think of a different function. Define

g(z) = 1/f(1/z)

this is a function that maps the unit disk into itself.

1. What is an entire function?

An entire function is a complex-valued function that is defined and analytic (has a derivative at every point) for all complex numbers.

2. How are entire functions and polynomials related?

Every polynomial is an entire function, but not every entire function is a polynomial. However, entire functions can be written as infinite polynomials through the use of the Taylor series expansion.

3. What is the degree of an entire function?

The degree of an entire function is the highest exponent of the term with the largest coefficient in its Taylor series expansion. For a polynomial, this is simply the highest power of the variable. For non-polynomial entire functions, the degree may not exist or may be infinite.

4. Can entire functions have singularities?

No, entire functions are defined for all complex numbers and therefore do not have any singularities or poles in their domain.

5. What is the fundamental theorem of algebra and how does it relate to entire functions?

The fundamental theorem of algebra states that every non-constant polynomial with complex coefficients has at least one complex root. This means that any entire function that can be written as a polynomial must have at least one zero. This theorem also plays a role in the proof of the fundamental theorem of algebra which states that any non-constant entire function has infinitely many zeros.