Entries in every row add to zero (nullspace/determinant question)

• Thread starter mace2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Row Zero
In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the determinant of a matrix A, given that the entries in each row add to zero. It is explained that if this condition is met, then the vector (1,1,...,1) is in the nullspace of A, making it a singular matrix with determinant equal to zero. It is also clarified that even if the entries in each row add to one, the determinant of A may not necessarily equal one.
mace2
Edit: My friend just explained it to me, duh! If the row adds to zero then (row)dot(1,1,...,1) = 0! And it is in the nullspace. Thanks anyway! :)

Hi all.

I've been learning about determinants and I was reading one of the sample problems in my textbook. I thought I understood the chapter, but I don't understand their answer at all. (Note this is not homework! Just trying to learn.)

Their question:
"If the entries in every row of A add to zero, solve Ax=0 to prove detA=0. If those entries add to one, show that det(A-I)=0. Does this mean detA=1?"

Their answer:
"If the entries in every row add to zero, then (1, 1, . . . , 1) is in the nullspace: singular A has det = 0. (The columns add to the zero column so they are linearly dependent.) If every row adds to one, then rows of A − I add to zero (not necessarily detA = 1)."

I guess I am confused as to why if the entries in each row add to zero, then (1,1,...,1) is in the nullspace? Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is
[tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}a & b & c \\ d & e & f \\ g & h & i\end{array}\right)\left(\begin{array}{c}1 \\ 1 \\ 1\end{array}\right)[/tex]?

What if a+ b+ c= 0, d+ e+ f= 0, g+ h+ i= 0?

Thank you HallsofIvy, all so simple now. Just had a little trouble reading it!

What is the nullspace of a matrix?

The nullspace of a matrix is the set of all vectors that, when multiplied by the matrix, result in a zero vector. In other words, it is the set of all solutions to the equation Ax = 0, where A is the matrix and x is a vector.

What does it mean for entries in every row to add to zero in a matrix?

If the entries in every row of a matrix add up to zero, it means that the matrix has a non-trivial nullspace. This means that there are infinitely many solutions to the equation Ax = 0, and the matrix is said to be singular.

How is the nullspace related to the determinant of a matrix?

The nullspace of a matrix is related to the determinant in that if a matrix has a non-zero determinant, then it has a trivial nullspace (only the zero vector). On the other hand, if a matrix has a zero determinant, then it has a non-trivial nullspace.

What is the relationship between the nullspace and the rank of a matrix?

The rank of a matrix is equal to the number of linearly independent columns (or rows) in the matrix. The nullspace of a matrix is the set of all vectors that are orthogonal to all of the linearly independent columns (or rows). Therefore, the dimension of the nullspace is equal to the number of columns (or rows) minus the rank of the matrix.

How can I determine if a matrix has a non-trivial nullspace?

To determine if a matrix has a non-trivial nullspace, you can calculate the determinant of the matrix. If the determinant is zero, then the matrix has a non-trivial nullspace. Additionally, you can use row reduction techniques to transform the matrix into its reduced row echelon form. If there are any free variables (variables that can take on any value), then the matrix has a non-trivial nullspace.