Entropy in system of non-degenerate atoms

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
vodkasoup
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
Hi all,

1. Homework Statement

A system of non-degenerate multi-level atoms are all in their lowest energy state. Calculate the entropy of the system.

Homework Equations



S = kbTln(Ω)

S = Q / T

dU = TdS - pdV

The Attempt at a Solution



I'm not sure how to proceed. I know that Ω is the degeneracy function. If all of the atoms in the system are non-degenerate and in their lowest energy level, does this value equal 1 ? If the atoms are in their lowest energy state, what does this say about the temperature?

Many thanks for your help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
vodkasoup said:
I'm not sure how to proceed. I know that Ω is the degeneracy function. If all of the atoms in the system are non-degenerate and in their lowest energy level, does this value equal 1 ? If the atoms are in their lowest energy state, what does this say about the temperature?

Many thanks for your help.
Indeed Ω = 1. This is enough to calculate the entropy. Temperature is often identified by ##1/T = \Delta S/ \Delta E##, so I suppose we could attempt to calculate it this way but it might be more work.
 
Last edited: