Does a Well-Defined Entropy Exist for Non-Ideal Gases A and B?

In summary, two non-ideal gases, A and B, have equations of state for pressure that depend on constants and temperature. The attempt to determine whether a well-defined entropy exists for each gas concluded that there is one, but the accuracy is uncertain. Gas B's internal energy also depends on other factors besides temperature.
Adam564
Homework Statement
Two non-ideal gases, A and B, whose internal energies only depend on temperature obey the following equations of state $$p=\alpha_A\frac{NT}{V^2}$$ and $$p=(\beta_B\frac{N}{V}T)^{1/2}$$, respectively. Here, $$\alpha_A$$ and $$\beta_B$$ are some constants. Determine for both gases individually whether a well-defined entropy exists. If not, what does that imply?
Relevant Equations
$$dU=TdS-pdV$$
$$dS=\frac{dU}{T}+\frac{p}{T}dV$$
The conclusion of my attempt I am listing below is that there do exist entropies for both but I am not sure.
$$dU=TdS-pdV$$
Therefore, gas A:
$$S=\frac{{\Delta}U}{T}+\alpha_A(\frac{-N}{{\Delta}V})$$
Gas B:
$$S=\frac{{\Delta}U}{T}+\frac{1}{\sqrt{T}}\sqrt{\beta_B}2\sqrt{N{\Delta}V}$$

Physics news on Phys.org
Adam564 said:
Homework Statement:: Two non-ideal gases, A and B, whose internal energies only depend on temperature obey the following equations of state $$p=\alpha_A\frac{NT}{V^2}$$ and $$p=(\beta_B\frac{N}{V}T)^{1/2}$$, respectively. Here, $$\alpha_A$$ and $$\beta_B$$ are some constants. Determine for both gases individually whether a well-defined entropy exists. If not, what does that imply?
Relevant Equations:: $$dU=TdS-pdV$$

The conclusion of my attempt I am listing below is that there do exist entropies for both but I am not sure.
$$dU=TdS-pdV$$
Therefore, gas A:
$$S=\frac{{\Delta}U}{T}+\alpha_A(\frac{-N}{{\Delta}V})$$
Gas B:
$$S=\frac{{\Delta}U}{T}+\frac{1}{\sqrt{T}}\sqrt{\beta_B}2\sqrt{N{\Delta}V}$$
Your work doesn't seem mathematically correct to me.

It seems to me that gas B would have an internal energy that depends not just on temperature.

Last edited:
Likes Adam564

1. What is entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. It is a thermodynamic property that describes the distribution of energy within a system.

2. How is entropy related to non-ideal gases A and B?

In non-ideal gases, the particles do not follow the ideal gas law and therefore have interactions with each other. This leads to deviations from ideal behavior and affects the entropy of the system.

3. Is there a well-defined entropy for non-ideal gases A and B?

Yes, there is a well-defined entropy for non-ideal gases A and B. However, it is not as simple as the entropy of ideal gases and requires more complex equations to calculate.

4. How is the entropy of non-ideal gases A and B calculated?

The entropy of non-ideal gases A and B can be calculated using the Gibbs entropy equation, which takes into account the interactions between particles and any other non-ideal effects.

5. Why is it important to consider the entropy of non-ideal gases A and B?

It is important to consider the entropy of non-ideal gases A and B because it affects the behavior and properties of these gases. Understanding the entropy of non-ideal gases is crucial in many industrial and scientific applications, such as in chemical reactions and thermodynamic processes.