Entropy per unit mass question (ds)

In summary, the conversation is about answering thermodynamic questions regarding entropy. The individual admits their knowledge on the subject is not clear and asks for help if they are wrong or missing relevant answers. The questions revolve around the value of ds and what can be concluded about a process based on its value. The summary also includes a clarification on the meaning of "more" reversible, which refers to a process having less irreversibilities.
ksle82
I'm attempting to answer these thermodynamic quesions about entropy. It's been years since my last thermo course so knowledge is cloudy. If I'm incorrect or missiong relevant answers, please help.

a. If ds = 0, what can you say about the process?
b. If ds < 0, what can you say about the process?
c. If ds1 < ds2, what can you conclude about these processes?

A. process is reversible
B. ds<0 <----is this possible?
C. ds1 is "more" reversible than ds2

Physics news on Phys.org
a. yes
b. yes, its possible
c. yes, that's true.

If it's possible for the answer B, then what can I say about the process? I don't recall learning anything about ds<0.

What do you mean by "more" reversible? I don't understand. A process can either be reversible or irreversible. What do you mean when you say more reversible?

He means it has less irreversibilities.

1. What is entropy per unit mass (ds)?

Entropy per unit mass (ds) is a thermodynamic property that measures the amount of disorder or randomness in a system per unit mass. It is also known as specific entropy and is measured in units of J/kg*K.

2. How is entropy per unit mass calculated?

Entropy per unit mass is calculated by dividing the change in entropy (dS) by the change in mass (dm) of a system. This can be represented by the equation ds = dS/dm.

3. What is the significance of entropy per unit mass in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, entropy per unit mass is a crucial property that helps us understand the direction of energy flow in a system. It also plays a significant role in determining the efficiency of thermodynamic processes and the maximum efficiency limit of heat engines.

4. How does entropy per unit mass relate to the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system can never decrease over time. Entropy per unit mass is a measure of the disorder in a system, and the second law shows that this disorder will always tend to increase or stay constant.

5. How does entropy per unit mass change in different processes?

In reversible processes, the entropy per unit mass remains constant as the system is in equilibrium. In irreversible processes, the entropy per unit mass increases as the system moves towards equilibrium. In adiabatic processes, where there is no heat exchange, the entropy per unit mass remains constant.