1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

EOM for a complex scalar field

1. Nov 5, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the equations of motion for the Lagrangian below:

$$ L=\partial_\mu \phi^* \partial^\mu \phi - V( \phi,\phi^* ) $$
    Where :
    $$ V( \phi,\phi^* )= m^2 \phi^* \phi + \lambda (\phi^* \phi)^2 $$

2. Relevant equations
    Euler Lagrange equation:

$$ \partial_\mu \dfrac {\partial L} {\partial (\partial_\mu \phi)} -\dfrac {\partial L} {\partial \phi} =0 $$

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I have calculated the equations of motion for each field but I'm surprised to find they're not independant of each other so i'm wondering if I've made a mistake somewhere? Here are my workings:

$$ \dfrac {\partial L} {\partial \phi} =m^2 \phi^* +2\lambda (\phi^*)^2 \phi $$
    $$\dfrac {\partial L} {\partial (\partial_\mu \phi)} = \partial_\mu \phi^* $$
    So then the equations of motion are:
    $$\Box \phi^* -m^2 \phi^* +2\lambda (\phi^*)^2 \phi =0$$
    $$\Box \phi -m^2 \phi +2\lambda (\phi)^2 \phi^* =0$$

Any suggestions would be appreciated :)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2017 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Looks like a sign error in one of the terms on the left. Otherwise, I think it's OK.

You are right that the fields are not independent. They are interacting with one another.

4. Nov 5, 2017 #3
    Ahh yeah I see the issue, thanks :) Yeah I just thought it was odd as one of the tutorial helpers said they were independent... but they were clearly incorrect. Thanks for your insight :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted