Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: EOM for a complex scalar field

1. Nov 5, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the equations of motion for the Lagrangian below:

$$ L=\partial_\mu \phi^* \partial^\mu \phi - V( \phi,\phi^* ) $$
    Where :
    $$ V( \phi,\phi^* )= m^2 \phi^* \phi + \lambda (\phi^* \phi)^2 $$

2. Relevant equations
    Euler Lagrange equation:

$$ \partial_\mu \dfrac {\partial L} {\partial (\partial_\mu \phi)} -\dfrac {\partial L} {\partial \phi} =0 $$

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I have calculated the equations of motion for each field but I'm surprised to find they're not independant of each other so i'm wondering if I've made a mistake somewhere? Here are my workings:

$$ \dfrac {\partial L} {\partial \phi} =m^2 \phi^* +2\lambda (\phi^*)^2 \phi $$
    $$\dfrac {\partial L} {\partial (\partial_\mu \phi)} = \partial_\mu \phi^* $$
    So then the equations of motion are:
    $$\Box \phi^* -m^2 \phi^* +2\lambda (\phi^*)^2 \phi =0$$
    $$\Box \phi -m^2 \phi +2\lambda (\phi)^2 \phi^* =0$$

Any suggestions would be appreciated :)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2017 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Looks like a sign error in one of the terms on the left. Otherwise, I think it's OK.

You are right that the fields are not independent. They are interacting with one another.

4. Nov 5, 2017 #3
    Ahh yeah I see the issue, thanks :) Yeah I just thought it was odd as one of the tutorial helpers said they were independent... but they were clearly incorrect. Thanks for your insight :)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted