EPhys w/ mechanical engr. minor

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion surrounding the viability of a degree in engineering physics for the automotive industry. Some companies may reject resumes solely based on the degree, while others may value it for its rigorous curriculum. The individual is considering obtaining a minor in mechanical engineering and majoring in engineering physics with a focus on mechanical, or switching to a bachelor's in mechanical engineering. The decision may be easier if the engineering physics degree is ABET accredited.
masonmaguire
I've decided that I want to work in the automotive industry, but I'm wondering if Engineering Physics is the right BS for that. Getting a minor in Mechanical Engineering and a major in Engineering Physics emphasizing mechanical would be doable for me. Would it be better just to switch to Mechanical to get a job in the automotive industry? Or would companies consider a degree in Ephys acceptable?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a lot of confusion about engineering physics.

At some companies your resume won't even make it to a real person before being thrown out because of it.

It's probably more feasible to go on to a masters in MechE or a B.S.E. in MechE and a minor/ major in physics.

I think it depends a lot on if the companies knows about it as above said.

For example in Sweden all the companies knows about Engineering physics and those students are usually preferred over the others since they have taken a harder curriculum and usually knows the stuff better. But I guess it have a lot to do with how we treat that degree, in Sweden we have made it into something of an elite degree so I guess that it isn't like that in most countries.

Klockan3 said:
I think it depends a lot on if the companies knows about it as above said.

For example in Sweden all the companies knows about Engineering physics and those students are usually preferred over the others since they have taken a harder curriculum and usually knows the stuff better. But I guess it have a lot to do with how we treat that degree, in Sweden we have made it into something of an elite degree so I guess that it isn't like that in most countries.

If the EPhys is ABET accredited it's a harder decision. If it's not accredited, it's easy - go with the MechE. There have been a lot of threads on EPhys on here that I recommend you search through. Having a MechE minor or concentration will definitely help you out compared to straight EPhys though.

1. What is "EPhys w/ mechanical engr. minor"?

"EPhys w/ mechanical engr. minor" is a program that combines the fields of electrical engineering and physics with a minor in mechanical engineering. This program allows students to gain a deeper understanding of the intersection between these disciplines and how they can be applied to various industries.

2. Is this program suitable for those with a background in engineering?

Yes, this program is suitable for students who have a background in engineering. In fact, it is designed for students who have a strong interest in both electrical engineering and physics, and wish to gain additional knowledge and skills in mechanical engineering.

3. What career opportunities are available for graduates of this program?

Graduates of this program can pursue careers in a variety of industries, including aerospace, automotive, energy, and robotics. They may also choose to work in research and development, product design, or consulting.

4. Are there any specific courses or requirements for this program?

Yes, there are specific courses and requirements for this program. These may include a combination of foundational courses in electrical engineering, physics, and mechanical engineering, as well as specialized courses in areas such as control systems, materials science, and thermodynamics.

5. Can I pursue a graduate degree after completing this program?

Yes, after completing this program, students can pursue a graduate degree in a related field such as electrical engineering, physics, or mechanical engineering. This program provides a strong foundation for further studies and research in these areas.