1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

EPhys w/ mechanical engr. minor

1. Nov 4, 2009 #1
    I've decided that I want to work in the automotive industry, but I'm wondering if Engineering Physics is the right BS for that. Getting a minor in Mechanical Engineering and a major in Engineering Physics emphasizing mechanical would be doable for me. Would it be better just to switch to Mechanical to get a job in the automotive industry? Or would companies consider a degree in Ephys acceptable?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2009 #2
    There is a lot of confusion about engineering physics.

At some companies your resume wont even make it to a real person before being thrown out because of it.

It's probably more feasible to go on to a masters in MechE or a B.S.E. in MechE and a minor/ major in physics.

4. Nov 4, 2009 #3
    I think it depends a lot on if the companies knows about it as above said.

For example in Sweden all the companies knows about Engineering physics and those students are usually preferred over the others since they have taken a harder curriculum and usually knows the stuff better. But I guess it have a lot to do with how we treat that degree, in Sweden we have made it into something of an elite degree so I guess that it isn't like that in most countries.

5. Nov 5, 2009 #4
    If the EPhys is ABET accredited it's a harder decision. If it's not accredited, it's easy - go with the MechE. There have been a lot of threads on EPhys on here that I recommend you search through. Having a MechE minor or concentration will definitely help you out compared to straight EPhys though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook