Epsilon-Delta Proof for Limit of x^2sin(1/x) as x Approaches 0

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter rman144
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Proof
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
rman144
Messages
34
Reaction score
0
I need to show that:

[itex]\lim_{x \to 0} x^{2}sin(1/x)=0[/itex]

Using the epsilon-delta method. I figured delta=sqrt[epsilon] would make the limit hold, but wanted to be sure. Thanks in advance.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
rman144 said:
[itex]\lim_{x \to 0} x^{2}sin(1/x)=0[/itex]

I believe it can be show that if [tex]\epsilon[/tex] = [tex]\delta[/tex][itex]abs(x^{2}sin(1/x))\leq x^{2}[/itex] < [tex]\epsilon[/tex]
 
[tex]\delta = \sqrt{\varepsilon}[/tex] is ok too, |sin(...)| will be always less or equal to 1, so [tex]\varepsilon \left|\sin(1/\sqrt{\varepsilon})\right| \leq \varepsilon[/tex]
 
Liwuinan said:
[tex]\delta = \sqrt{\varepsilon}[/tex] is ok too, |sin(...)| will be always less or equal to 1, so [tex]\varepsilon \left|\sin(1/\sqrt{\varepsilon})\right| \leq \varepsilon[/tex]

This is more sufficient.:)