1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Epsilon delta proof that x^4 goes to a^4 as x goes to a

1. Sep 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine the limit l for a given a and prove that it is the limit by showing how to find δ such that |f(x)-l|<ε for all x satisfying 0<|x-a|<δ.

[itex]f(x)=x^{2}[/itex], arbitrary a.

2. Relevant equations
    I will incorporate the triangle inequality in this proof.

3. The attempt at a solution
    We want to be able to find a δ such that if 0<|x-a|<δ then |x^4-a^4|<ε. Working backwards we see that [itex]|x^{4}-a^{4}|=|x^{2}-a^{2}||x^{2}+a^{2}|=|x-a||x+a||x^{2}+a^{2}|<\epsilon[/itex] so then [itex]|x-a|<\frac{\epsilon}{|x+a||x^{2}+a^{2}|}[/itex]. Now set [itex]|x-a|<1[/itex]. Then from the triangle inequality we know that [itex]|x|-|a|\leq|x-a|<1[/itex] so [itex]|x|-|a|<1[/itex] and it follows that [itex]|x|<1+|a|[/itex]. Thus we have [itex]|x-a|\leq|x|+|a|<1+2|a|[/itex]. Note that [itex](|x|)^{2}=|x^{2}|[/itex] so [itex]|x^{2}|<(1+|a|)^{2}=1+2|a|+a^{2}[/itex]. Thus we have [itex]|x^{2}+a^{2}|<1+2|a|+a^{2}+|a^{2}|=1+2|a|+2a^{2}[/itex]. In conclusion, we have [itex]|x+a||x^{2}+a^{2}|<(1+2|a|)(1+2|a|+2a^{2})[/itex] so then [itex]\frac{\epsilon}{(1+2|a|)(1+2|a|+2a^{2})}[/itex]. Now for the proof.

Proof: Suppose we are given ε>0. Then choose δ=min(1,[itex]\frac{\epsilon}{(1+2|a|)(1+2|a|+2a^{2})}[/itex]). Then [itex]0<|x-a|<\delta\Rightarrow|x-a|<\frac{\epsilon}{(1+2|a|)(1+2|a|+2a^{2})} \Rightarrow|x-a||x+a||x^{2}+a^{2}|<\frac{\epsilon(1+2|a|)(1+2|a|+2a^{2})}{(1+2|a|)(1+2|a|+2a^{2})}\Rightarrow|x^{2}-a^{2}||x^{2}+a^{2}|<\epsilon\Rightarrow|x^{4}-a^{4}|<\epsilon[/itex]. This completes the proof.

Could someone take a look at this for me? I feel like something isn't right with it.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's a typo.

Should be [itex]f(x)=x^{4}[/itex] of course.
    I suppose it depends who grades the proof.

You have done a thorough job explaining how you get δ from ε. But that's not part of your formal proof.

Personally, I like to see everything that's needed for the proof, in the proof.

So in the proof itself, I like to see you support your claim that [itex]|x+a||x^{2}+a^{2}|\le (1+2|a|)(1+2|a|+2a^{2})\ .[/itex]

Again, this is my personal preference.

4. Sep 10, 2012 #3
    Thank you for taking your time to look over my proof. I will edit the proof and include the claim in the proof itself.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook