Equal sets and bijective correspondence

• Thread starter mizunoami
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sets
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of equal sets and their bijection. The speaker defines a function f that maps elements from the set [n] to [m] and states that if [n] and [m] are equal, then f is bijective. They then seek to prove that f is surjective and injective, using the fact that [n] and [m] are equal. The conversation concludes with suggestions on how to prove surjectivity and injectivity using a rigorous mathematical proof.
mizunoami

Homework Statement

If [n] and [m] are equal, then they are bijective correspondent.

I define [itex]f \subset\{(n,m)\mid n \in [n], m\in [m]\}[/itex]. Suppose [n]=[m]. Let[itex](n,m_1),(n,m_2)\in f.[/itex] Because [n]=[m], then [itex]m_1=m_2[/itex]. So for all [itex]n \in [n][/itex], there exists a unique [itex]m\in [m][/itex] such that f(n)=m. So f is a function.

Next I want to prove f is surjective and injective. But I'm stuck. How can I make use of the supposition [n]=[m] to prove surjectivity and injectivity?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean "equal" or "equivalent"? In order to be equal, sets A and B must be identical- they contain exactly the same elements. In order to be equivalent, they must have the same cardinality- contain exactly the same number of elements. In either case, there is an obvious bijection.

I mean equal - so both sets contain the same elements.

Yeah, there is obviously a bijection. But how can I show that using a rigorous mathematical proof?

The obvious way- show that f, from [m] to [n], defined by f(x)= x, is both "one-to-one" and "onto". And that should be easy- if f(a)= f(b), what must be true of a and b? Let c be a member of [n]. What member of [m] is mapped to c?

What is an equal set?

An equal set refers to two sets that have the same number of elements and the elements are exactly the same.

What is bijective correspondence?

Bijective correspondence, also known as a one-to-one correspondence, is a relation between two sets where each element in one set has a unique corresponding element in the other set.

How can you prove that two sets are equal?

To prove that two sets are equal, you can show that they have the same number of elements and that the elements are exactly the same. This can be done by listing out the elements of each set or by using a Venn diagram.

What is the difference between equal sets and equivalent sets?

Equal sets have the same number of elements and the elements are exactly the same, while equivalent sets have the same number of elements but the elements may be different. For example, the sets {1, 2, 3} and {3, 2, 1} are equivalent but not equal.

Why is bijective correspondence important in mathematics?

Bijective correspondence is important in mathematics because it allows us to establish a one-to-one relationship between elements in different sets, which can help us compare and analyze data, solve equations, and understand mathematical concepts more deeply.