1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equal sets and bijective correspondence

1. Dec 7, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If [n] and [m] are equal, then they are bijective correspondent.

I define [itex]f \subset\{(n,m)\mid n \in [n], m\in [m]\}[/itex]. Suppose [n]=[m]. Let[itex](n,m_1),(n,m_2)\in f.[/itex] Because [n]=[m], then [itex]m_1=m_2[/itex]. So for all [itex]n \in [n][/itex], there exists a unique [itex]m\in [m][/itex] such that f(n)=m. So f is a function.

Next I want to prove f is surjective and injective. But I'm stuck. How can I make use of the supposition [n]=[m] to prove surjectivity and injectivity?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Do you mean "equal" or "equivalent"? In order to be equal, sets A and B must be identical- they contain exactly the same elements. In order to be equivalent, they must have the same cardinality- contain exactly the same number of elements. In either case, there is an obvious bijection.

4. Dec 8, 2011 #3
    I mean equal - so both sets contain the same elements.

Yeah, there is obviously a bijection. But how can I show that using a rigorous mathematical proof?

5. Dec 8, 2011 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The obvious way- show that f, from [m] to [n], defined by f(x)= x, is both "one-to-one" and "onto". And that should be easy- if f(a)= f(b), what must be true of a and b? Let c be a member of [n]. What member of [m] is mapped to c?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook