Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equating Field of Elements via the Radix

1. Sep 2, 2011 #1
    Is there a way of calculating the field of elements in a system using the base? I expect that's the main way, I am just unlearned.

For Example base phi: (1+√5)/2 has the FoE Q[√5] = Q + [√5]Q

Is it just any non-rational elements are added to the field? what would base: (√2 / √7) be?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, any rational elements are already in Q! If by [itex]\sqrt{2}/\sqrt{7}[/itex] you mean [itex]\sqrt{2/7}[/itex], any member of [itex]Q[\sqrt{2/7}[/itex] is of the form [itex]a+ b\sqrt{7/2}[/itex] for a and b rational numbers.

Note that [itex]Q[\sqrt{7/2}][/itex] is different from [itex]Q[\sqrt{7}, 1/\sqrt{2}]= Q[\sqrt{7}, \sqrt{2}][/itex] where the two roots can appear separately. Such numbers are of the form [itex]a+ b\sqrt{7}+ c\sqrt{2}+ d\sqrt{14}[/itex].

(We can use [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] rather than [itex]1/\sqrt{2}[/itex] because
    [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}= \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}[/tex])

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  4. Sep 2, 2011 #3
    Ok, excellent, I was wondering how to deal with more than one thing like you said:

[itex]a+ b\sqrt{7}+ c\sqrt{2}+ d\sqrt{14}[/itex]

So you just extend the equation until it's all in there then do a multiple of them? (14 at the end)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook