Parameter optimization for the eignevalues of a matrix

kelly0303
Hello! I have a matrix (about 20 x 20), which corresponds to a given Hamiltonian. I would like to write an optimization code that matches the eigenvalues of this matrix to some experimentally measured energies. I wanted to use gradient descent, but that seems to not work in a straightforward manner and I was wondering if someone has any advice on how to proceed. In my case, the diagonal term are mainly of the form ##ax^2+bx^4##, where a and b are the values I want to fit for, and in my case x is around 20. I expect (based on some theoretical calculations) that a is around 5000 and b is around 0.005, so the first term is on the order of ##5000 \times 20^2 = 2000000## and the second term is on the order ##0.005\times 20^4 = 800##. The off diagonal terms are much smaller on the order ~1. The main problem is that the gradient of the function with respect to b is huge i.e. ##x^4##, while b itself is very small. Moreover, when doing the diagonalization the ##bx^4## term gets mixed nonlinearly with the other terms of the matrix so in the end the gradient is not just simply ##x^4## and for example going from 0.0055 to 0.0056 changes the gradient of the eigenvalues with respect to b by almost 5 orders of magnitude. Is there a way to deal with this (for context this is for fitting rotational parameters to a molecular spectrum). Thank you!

1. What is parameter optimization for the eigenvalues of a matrix?

Parameter optimization for the eigenvalues of a matrix involves adjusting the parameters within a matrix to achieve desired properties in its eigenvalues. This process is crucial in various applications including control systems, vibrations analysis, and quantum mechanics, where specific eigenvalue characteristics can optimize performance or stability.

2. Why is it important to optimize eigenvalues in a matrix?

Optimizing eigenvalues is important because the eigenvalues of a matrix can determine the behavior of a system described by that matrix. For example, in stability analysis, the location of eigenvalues in the complex plane indicates whether a system is stable or unstable. Optimizing these values can lead to improved system performance and increased robustness.

3. What methods are commonly used for optimizing the eigenvalues of a matrix?

Common methods for optimizing eigenvalues include gradient-based algorithms, evolutionary algorithms, and perturbation methods. Each method has its strengths and is chosen based on the specific requirements of the problem, such as the size of the matrix and the nature of the eigenvalues (real or complex).

4. How does parameter perturbation affect matrix eigenvalues?

Parameter perturbation affects matrix eigenvalues by slightly altering the matrix's entries, which in turn changes the eigenvalues. This method is used to analyze the sensitivity of eigenvalues to changes in the matrix and to find directions in parameter space that lead to desired eigenvalue adjustments. This is particularly useful in fine-tuning systems for optimal performance.

5. Can optimizing eigenvalues guarantee the overall optimization of a system?

While optimizing eigenvalues is a critical aspect of enhancing certain system characteristics, it does not necessarily guarantee the overall optimization of a system. Other factors, such as the eigenvectors, system non-linearities, and external disturbances, also play significant roles. Therefore, a comprehensive approach considering all aspects of the system is typically required for full optimization.