Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation for a tilted parabola in 3D?

1. Jan 15, 2015 #1
    So I was doodling around and came up with a problem of finding an equation for a tilted parabola. Basically, a parabola in xy plane which was rotated around a line that goes through points (1,0) and (0,1), making the curve a 3D one. I realize that this curve is a subset of points that define a paraboloid but I have no clue how to extract one from the other. Any help? Here's a picture for visual guidance http://i.imgur.com/6Esnhkh.png

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2015 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

When you say "a parabola in the xy-plane" which parabola do you mean? If you rotate a parabola around any other line but its axis, the result is NOT a paraboloid.

4. Jan 15, 2015 #3
    Sorry for being unclear. I do not mean a solid of revolution. I mean taking a parabola which lies on the xy plane and rotating it (moving all of its points) by some amount of degrees around an axis (in my case a line which goes through points (1,0) and (0,1). If you look at the picture it represents a rotated parabola which "had" its points of intersection with x and y axes fixed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook