Equation for the number of unlabeled trees on n vertices

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter TheMathNoob
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Trees
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
TheMathNoob
Messages
189
Reaction score
4
Why has no one figured out yet an equation to count the number of unlabeled trees on n vertices?. I also have this dilemma between researchers and non-researchers. A researcher is just someone who is trying to find a solution to a problem for which no solution has been found yet. Right?, so if I try to find this equation, am I already doing research?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
TheMathNoob said:
Why has no one figured out yet an equation to count the number of unlabeled trees on n vertices?. I also have this dilemma between researchers and non-researchers. A researcher is just someone who is trying to find a solution to a problem for which no solution has been found yet. Right?, so if I try to find this equation, am I already doing research?
No one has figured it out because it apparently is a difficult problem.
If you solve it, yes, that would qualify as research.

While I don't want to sound patronizing or discourage you to try it, in general a difficult open problem is, well, ..., difficult. Using your studying time efficiently is part of the art of studying.
But who knows? Maybe you have some novel idea to tackle the question that no one else thought of. It is possible, but a rare occurrence in the history of Mathematics.
 
Samy_A said:
No one has figured it out because it apparently is a difficult problem.
If you solve it, yes, that would qualify as research.

While I don't want to sound patronizing or discourage you to try it, in general a difficult open problem is, well, ..., difficult. Using your studying time efficiently is part of the art of studying.
But who knows? Maybe you have some novel idea to tackle the question that no one else thought of. It is possible, but a rare occurrence in the history of Mathematics.
Yes, I understand what you are saying, but maybe it doesn't actually matter if I get to the solution or not. What matters is the knowledge and skills that I will acquire along the way. I also know that I still lack a lot of mathematical knowledge to give it a try, but maybe in the future XD. Why is it too hard?. It's just trees xd.
 
TheMathNoob said:
Yes, I understand what you are saying, but maybe it doesn't actually matter if I get to the solution or not. What matters is the knowledge and skills that I will acquire along the way. Why is it too hard?. It's just trees xd.
Absolutely, try to tackle it for a (short) while if you like the problem, nothing wrong with that. At the very least it will give you some insight into why it is hard.

Many years ago I wasted some time at another "easy" problem: the Collatz conjecture. It is so elementary in its statement that I thought it should be relatively easy to solve. There was a little voice in my head that warned me that brighter minds had tried it for decades, but still, I tried too. :oldsmile: