Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation of a line in complex plane

1. May 12, 2013 #1
    All the derivation of the equation of line on complex plane uses the fact that (x,y) \in R^2 can be identified with x+iy \in C.

Thus, they begin with ax+by+c = 0 then re-write x = (z+\bar{z})/2 and y = (z-\bar{z})/(2i), and substitute it into real plane line equation to get it in complex form.

What I don't quite understand is, since (x,y) is identified with (x,iy),

don't we need to write ax+by+c=0 into ax+biy+c=0 before we proceed with the substitution? Why don't we need to do such thing?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi 4everphysics! :smile:
    (x,iy) is not in ℂ :wink:

ℂ is a set whose elements are single items (traditionally called "z")

ℂ is not a direct product of two sets, with elements that are ordered pairs

4. May 13, 2013 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In other words, we are not "identifying (x, y) with (x, iy)". We are identifying the pair of real numbers, (x, y) with the single complex number x+ iy.

5. May 13, 2013 #4

Bacle2

Science Advisor

Still, one thing that I think is good to take into account is that a complex line is 2-dimensional as a real object. Notice that the 1st complex projective space is a 2-sphere, but 1st real projective space is a circle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook