Image of the upper half complex plane, under the function g(z) = exp(2 \pi i z).

In summary: Therefore, since $g$ is a bijection between $W$ and $\Bbb D^*$, then $W$ is not simply connected. In summary, $g(W)$ is the punctured disc $\Bbb D^*$ and it is not simply connected.
kalish1
Problem: Given $W = \{z: z=x+iy, \ y>0\}$ and $g(z) = e^{2 \pi i z},$ what does the set $g(W)$ look like, and is it simply connected?

Attempt: $W$ represents the upper-half complex plane. And $$g(z) = e^{2 \pi i (x+iy)} = \cdots = e^{-2\pi y}(\cos (2 \pi x) + i \sin (2 \pi x)).$$ (Am I on the right track?)

I know simply connected means that there are no holes in the set, but I don't know how to describe the set geometrically.

Thanks in advance for help.

This question has been crossposted here: Image of the upper half complex plane, under the function $g(z) = e^{2\pi i z}$ - Mathematics Stack Exchange

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi kalish,

Since $|\cos 2\pi x + i \sin 2\pi x| = 1$ for all $x \in \Bbb R$ and $0 < e^{-2\pi y} < 1$ for all $y > 0$, then $0 < |g(z)| < 1$ for all $z \in W$. Thus, $g$ maps $W$ into the punctured disc $\Bbb D^* = \{z \in \Bbb C : 0 < |z| < 1\}$. On the other hand, if $c \in \Bbb D^*$, then $|c| = |c|e^{2\pi i x}$ for some $x \in \Bbb R$, and $|c| = e^{-2\pi y}$ with $y = -(\log |c|)/(2\pi)$. Since $|c| < 1$, then $-\log |c| > 0$ and thus $y > 0$. Therefore, $c = g(x + yi)$ with $y > 0$. Consequently, $g$ maps $W$ onto $\Bbb D^*$.

The punctured disc $\Bbb D^*$ is not simply connected, for if $\gamma$ is the circle of radius $1/2$ centered at the origin (so it lies in $\Bbb D^*$), then $\int_\gamma \frac{dz}{z}$ is $2\pi i$, which is nonzero.

Last edited:

Related to Image of the upper half complex plane, under the function g(z) = exp(2 \pi i z).

1. What is the significance of the upper half complex plane in this image?

The upper half complex plane is significant because it is the domain of the function g(z) = exp(2πiz), which means it is the set of complex numbers that can be plugged into the function to produce an output.

2. Why does the image appear to have a spiral pattern?

The spiral pattern is a result of the exponential function in g(z) = exp(2πiz). As the value of z increases, the output of the function also increases exponentially, resulting in a spiral pattern.

3. How does the function g(z) = exp(2πiz) affect the points on the upper half complex plane?

The function g(z) = exp(2πiz) maps each point on the upper half complex plane to a corresponding point on the unit circle. This means that the function rotates and stretches the points, causing them to form the spiral pattern seen in the image.

4. Is the image an accurate representation of the upper half complex plane?

No, the image only represents a small portion of the upper half complex plane. In reality, the upper half complex plane is an infinite set of points, whereas the image only shows a finite number of points that have been mapped by the function g(z) = exp(2πiz).

5. Can the function g(z) = exp(2πiz) be used to map other regions of the complex plane?

Yes, the function can be used to map any region of the complex plane to a corresponding region on the unit circle. However, the specific pattern and shape of the mapping will depend on the region being mapped and the function being used.