Equation of a line through a point and another line at 90 degrees.

In summary, the problem can be solved by finding the direction vector of a line perpendicular to both the given line and the line passing through the given point. This can be done by finding the cross product of the given line's direction vector and the vector from the given point to a point on the given line. Then, the cross product of this vector and the given line's direction vector will give the required direction vector.
IcedCore

Homework Statement

Find the equation of the line through the point (-5,-4,2) that intersects the line at r = (7,-13,8) +t(1,2,-2) at 90 degrees.

Homework Equations

I guess that using the dot product for the direction vector of the line needed, (x,y,z) , with the direction of the given line will = 0. Then i get lost as to what I should be doing afterwards, in incorporating the point given with the variables that result from the dot product.

The Attempt at a Solution

So i did (x,y,z) dot (1,2,-2) to get x +2y -2z = 0
at this point, I'm not sure where to do.

Btw, the answer is r = (-5,-4,2) +t(14,-5,2).

Physics news on Phys.org
IcedCore said:

Homework Statement

Find the equation of the line through the point (-5,-4,2) that intersects the line at r = (7,-13,8) +t(1,2,-2) at 90 degrees.

Homework Equations

I guess that using the dot product for the direction vector of the line needed, (x,y,z) , with the direction of the given line will = 0. Then i get lost as to what I should be doing afterwards, in incorporating the point given with the variables that result from the dot product.

The Attempt at a Solution

So i did (x,y,z) dot (1,2,-2) to get x +2y -2z = 0
at this point, I'm not sure where to do.

Btw, the answer is r = (-5,-4,2) +t(14,-5,2).

Your whole problem will be solved if you can figure out the direction from Q that is perpendicular to your line. Call P = (7,-13,8) and Q = (-5,-4,2) and V the vector from P to Q. Call the direction vector of your line D= <1,2,-2>. You know
W= VxD is perpendicular to both V and D.

Now think about what direction WxD would be.

I would do this in a slightly different way. The given line has "direction vector" <1, 2, -2>. A line that passes throught (-5, -4, 2) and is perpendicular to the given line must lie in the plane having that vector as normal vector and containing that point: that plane is 1(x+ 5)+ 2(y+ 4)- 2(z- 2)= 0. Find the point at which the given line intersects that plane and use that and (-5, -5, 2) to determine the line.

I tried both ways, but I'm getting slightly different answers. Could you please show me some clear steps because I'm getting somewhat confused.

A note to take into consideration is that we haven't really touched upon 3D intersections, using perpendicular vectors. Never.

IcedCore said:
I tried both ways, but I'm getting slightly different answers. Could you please show me some clear steps because I'm getting somewhat confused.

If you tried my suggestion and made no arithmetic errors, you can shorten your final vector by dividing it by 9 to get your suggested direction. Was that your problem?

Well, I got (16,-7,-3) as my final answer.. You got the actual answer? Could you show your steps please?

IcedCore said:
Well, I got (16,-7,-3) as my final answer.. You got the actual answer? Could you show your steps please?

V = Q-P = <-12,9,-6>
W = V x D = <-6,-30,-33>
Normal = W x D = <126,-45,18>

Divide by 9 to shorten it: <14,-5,2>. The numbers would likely be smaller if I had divided V by 3 to begin with.

Ahh, thank you so much. I realized that I made a mistake half way through, but i changed the wrong number in the last cross. Thanks! By the way, if you don't mind, why did you choose to complete the operations that you did. My teacher only gives very basic explanations, if any, and sometimes I do get confused.

IcedCore said:
Ahh, thank you so much. I realized that I made a mistake half way through, but i changed the wrong number in the last cross. Thanks! By the way, if you don't mind, why did you choose to complete the operations that you did. My teacher only gives very basic explanations, if any, and sometimes I do get confused.

There are several ways to work that problem. You could have found the vector projection of V = PQ on your line and subtracted that from V to get the direction. You could use the method HallsOfIvy suggested. Or you could use what I suggested. They all work.

The reason the method I showed you works is that W = V x D is perpendicular to the plane of V and D, so when you cross W with D, the result, being perpendicular to W must be back parallel to the plane of V and D. And since it is perpendicular to D, it is the required direction. It might be helpful for you to draw a picture.

1. What is the equation of a line through a point and another line at 90 degrees?

The equation of a line through a point and another line at 90 degrees is known as the perpendicular bisector. It is a line that passes through a given point and is perpendicular to the given line.

2. How do you find the equation of the perpendicular bisector?

To find the equation of the perpendicular bisector, you will need to first determine the slope of the given line. Then, using the negative reciprocal of this slope, you can find the slope of the perpendicular bisector. Finally, use the given point and the new slope to find the equation of the perpendicular bisector.

3. Can you have more than one perpendicular bisector for a given point and line?

No, there can only be one perpendicular bisector for a given point and line. This is because the perpendicular bisector is unique and is determined by the given point and line.

4. How can the equation of the perpendicular bisector be used in real-life scenarios?

The equation of the perpendicular bisector can be used in many real-life scenarios, such as construction, architecture, and engineering. It can help determine the midpoint of a line, which is important for creating symmetrical designs and structures.

5. Is the equation of the perpendicular bisector the same as the equation of a perpendicular line?

Yes, the equation of the perpendicular bisector and the equation of a perpendicular line are the same. They both refer to a line that is perpendicular to another line, with the only difference being that the perpendicular bisector also passes through a given point.