1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the equation of the plane given point and line (3D)

Tags:
  1. Apr 19, 2017 #1
    ∴1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find an equation for the plane that contains the point (1,-1,2) and the line x=t, y=t+1, z=-3+2t?
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I dont know what Im doing wrong but everytime I try to do these plane questions my amswer is always the opposite sign of the real answer.

P1(7,0,1)
    P2(7,3,0)

P1P2 (0,3,-1)
    n(7,-1,2)

P1P2 crossproducted with n = (5,-7,-21)

∴ 5(x-7)-7y-21(z-1)=0

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2017 #2

gv3

Where are your P1 and P2 coming from?
    Are you crossing P1P2 vector with the normal vector?

4. Apr 19, 2017 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

If you have a point ##P_0(x_0, y_0, z_0)## and a normal to the plane N = <A, B, C>, the equation of the plane is ##A(x - x_0) + B(y - y_0) + C(z - z_0) = 0##. This equation can be obtained by taking the dot product of N and a vector ##\vec{P_0P}##, where P(x, y, z) is an arbitrary point in the plane.

You're given a point, so you have some of the information you need. To get a normal to the plane, find two vectors that lie in the plane. For the first vector, find two points on the line, and construct a displacement vector between the two points. Call this ##\vec u##. To get another vector, construct a displacement vector between any point on the line and the given point. Call this ##\vec u##.
    Take the cross product of ##\vec u## and ##\vec v##, which will give you a vector perpendicular to both ##\vec u## and ##\vec v## (and therefore be a normal to the plane).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted