1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation of motion from given 2D Potential

1. Aug 21, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle of mass m moves in two dimensions under the following potential energy
    function:
    V(##\vec{r}##) = ½ k (x2 + 4y2)

Find the resulting motion, given the initial condition at t=0:
    x = a, y = 0, x' = 0, y' = vo

2. Relevant equations
    F = ma = -dV/dr

3. The attempt at a solution
    This will obviously involve a 2nd order diff eq, and there are enough initial conditions to solve for the unknown constants. If the potential were given with the r variable instead of x and y, it would be simpler. As such, I'm not sure how to take dV/dr when V is V(x,y) not V(r)...

If I use x = r Cosθ, y = r Sinθ, I can put it as:
    V(##\vec{r}##) = (3/2) k r2 Sin2θ

But now that I have θ in the formula, is it ok to take dV/dr as such and set it in F = -dV/dr?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2015 #2
    You are doing it the wrong way, there are vector involved and ##\frac{d}{d \vec r} = \nabla ## and everyone already says it: force is the gradient of the potential, can you work it out now ?
    [Edit: In case I wasn't clear, ##\nabla = \lt \frac{\partial}{\partial x}, \frac{\partial}{\partial y} \gt ## ]

4. Aug 21, 2015 #3
    *facepalm* Thank you!

##\vec{F}## = -k( x ##\hat{x}## + 4y ##\hat{y}##)

Then set to m##\vec{a}## = m(##\ddot{x}## ##\hat{x}## + ##\ddot{y}## ##\hat{y}##), and compare associated vector components... yes?

5. Aug 21, 2015 #4
    Just tried that, for anyone who wants to check:

X(t) = a ##\cos##(##\sqrt{k/m} t##)

Y(t) =##\frac{v_{o}}{\sqrt{4k/m}}\sin(\sqrt{4k/m} t)##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted