1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation of Motion in Heisenberg Picture

1. Dec 10, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle of mass m is in a harmonic oscillator potential with spring constant k. An observable quantity is given in the Schrodinger picture by the operator:

[itex] Z = a^{\dagger}a a^{\dagger} a [/itex]

a) Determine the equation of motion of the operator in the Heisenberg picture

b) Solve the equation of motion to calculate the form of Z as a function of time.

2. Relevant equations

[itex]i\hbar \frac{dZ(t)}{dt} = [Z(t),H] [/itex]

[itex] Z(t) = U^{\dagger}ZU [/itex]

[itex] U = e^{-iHt/\hbar} [/itex]

[itex] <Z>_{t} = <\psi(x,0) | Z(t) |\psi(x,0)> [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

a)

From a textbook, it said the equation of motion for a time-independent operator (schrodinger picture) in the Heisenberg picture is:
    [itex]i\hbar \frac{dZ(t)}{dt} = [Z(t),H] [/itex]

Where I am assuming [itex] H = \frac{p^2}{2m} + 1/2kx^2 [/itex] because it's a harmonic oscillator.

Is that it for this part of the problem? Just write it down? Seems a bit silly to me.

b)

This part is confusing to me. It asks for me to solve the equation of motion to get Z as a function of time. However, can't I just use

[itex] Z(t) = U^{\dagger}ZU [/itex]

[itex] U = e^{-iHt/\hbar} [/itex]

[itex] <Z>_{t} = <\psi(x,0) | Z(t) |\psi(x,0)> [/itex]

to obtain Z as a function of time? I assume this because I know with the creation and annihilation operators, I can act on [itex] <\psi(x,0)| [/itex] to (if I assume the ground state) eliminate some operators in Z(t).

Okay so this is the method I think I should go with??

writing out the last equation above, I get:

[itex] <Z>_{t} = <\psi(x,0) | U^{\dagger}ZU|\psi(x,0)> [/itex]

[itex] <Z>_{t} = <\psi(x,0) | U^{\dagger}a^{\dagger}a a^{\dagger} aU|\psi(x,0)> [/itex]

now I am stuck and not convinced i am going about this problem correctly.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2013 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can you write the Hamiltonian in terms of raising and lowering operators?

4. Dec 11, 2013 #3
    Ah! yes! I completely forgot about that.

[itex] H = (a^{\dagger}a + 1/2)\hbar \omega [/itex]
    I know what to do now. I compute the commutator using Z, and the U's will go away because they commute with H.

Thank you!!

in the end I got that Z(t) = Z because

dz(t)/dt = 0 which means that z(t) = some constant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted