Equation of motion with proportional drag

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
13 replies · 3K views
Hannibal123
Messages
20
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



the forces will be like this

[tex]m⋅dv/dt=-m⋅g-k⋅v[/tex]

I need to find the velocity equation and the place equation, thereby meaning the integral of the velocity equation. for the condition t,v=0,v_0



The Attempt at a Solution


i have found this
[tex]v(t)=mg/k*(-1+e^(-k/m⋅t))+v_0⋅e^(-k/m⋅t)[/tex] or in picture form http://imgur.com/WjksG

But I am not sure it's correct
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hannibal123 said:

Homework Statement



the forces will be like this

[tex]m⋅dv/dt=-m⋅g-k⋅v[/tex]

I need to find the velocity equation and the place equation, thereby meaning the integral of the velocity equation. for the condition t,v=0,v_0

The Attempt at a Solution


i have found this
[tex]v(t)=\frac{mg}{k}(-1+e^{-\frac{k}{m}t})+v_0⋅e^{-\frac{k}{m}t}[/tex] or in picture form http://imgur.com/WjksG

But I am not sure it's correct

It looks correct, but v0=0 .

Edit: I misread vo, so it is correct.

ehild
 
Last edited:
haruspex said:
I read the OP condition as initially (t,v) = (0, v0)
Sorry, I misread it. Edit my post.

ehild
 
haruspex said:
I read the OP condition as initially (t,v) = (0, v0)

that is what i meant. I doubt the results because when i draw them in a graph they doesn't seem to be correct. I have drawn them i geogebra if you are familiar with that software.
My values are:
m: 0,145 kg
k: 0,0032
g: (gravity acceleration) 9,82
v_0: 9,93 m/s

this is what i have entered in geogebra: g(x) =(0.145*9.82/0.0032)*(-1 + ℯ^(0x / 0.15)) + 9.93ℯ^(0x / 0.15)
if you want to try for yourself (should save you some time). These values are not meant for a proportional drag, but still it seems weird that the graph looks like one of a constant function
http://imgur.com/FFElN (the red one)
 
Hannibal123 said:
m: 0,145 kg
k: 0,0032
g: (gravity acceleration) 9,82
v_0: 9,93 m/s

this is what i have entered in geogebra: g(x) =(0.145*9.82/0.0032)*(-1 + ℯ^(0x / 0.15)) + 9.93ℯ^(0x / 0.15)
How did -k/m end up as 0 / 0.15? Looks like rounding error, and the red line graph seems to be a consequence.
 
this is the equation of place (if that is the correct term in english) as far as I am concerned the height is not suposed to be negative to positive time values?
http://imgur.com/CxAYC
 
Your velocity time graph shows velocity +ve at time 0, so the distance time graph should show distance increasing at time 0.
 
Indeed it should, however it doesn't. Is this a wrong integration of the velocity equation?
http://imgur.com/A6BKT
Based on the gaph it does not seem to be correct.
 
Looks right. I'd write it as
[itex]\frac{mg}{k}\left(-t+\left(\frac{m}{k}+\frac{v_0}{g}\right)\left(1-e^{-\frac{kt}{m}}\right)\right)[/itex]