1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation of plane through points on x,y,z axes

1. Jul 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the equation of the plane through the points on the x, y, and z-axes where x=a, y=b, z=c, respectively.

2. Relevant equations
    If <A,B,C> is a vector perpendicular to the plane, then A(x-a)+B(y-b)+C(z-c)=0 is the equation of the plane.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know this is extremely simple, but I can't get the right answer even using different methods.

Method 1:
    The vectors <0,b,-c> and <a,-b,0> are in the plane. The cross product <0,b,-c> X <a,-b,0> gives <-bc,-ac,-ab>, which is normal to the plane. Then the equation of the plane is (-bc)(x-a)+(-ac)(y-b)+(-ab)(z-c)=0, and simplifying I get (x/a)+(y/b)+(z/c)=3. Wrong.

Method 2:
    Substituting the 3 points (a,0,0), (0,b,0), (0,0,c) into A(x-a)+B(y-b)+C(z-c)=0 gives

-Bb-Cc=0
    -Aa-Cc=0
    -Aa-Bb=0.

Thus C=-Aa/c, B=-Aa/b and substituting this back into A(x-a)+B(y-b)+C(z-c)=0 and simplifying I get (-x/a)+(y/b)+(z/c)=1, which is different than the answer from Method 1 and still wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi iomtt6076! :wink:
    eugh … you've made it so complicated. :yuck:

Just call the plane px + qy + rz = 1, and solve! :smile:

4. Jul 21, 2009 #3
    tiny-tim, thank you for your reply. I see how to get from px + qy + rz = 1 to the correct answer and at last realize my (embarrassing) mistake.

In Method 1, it was incorrect to say that "the equation of the plane is (-bc)(x-a)+(-ac)(y-b)+(-ab)(z-c)=0." This equation comes from setting the dot product <-bc,-ac,-ab>*<x-a,y-b,z-c> equal to 0. But (a,b,c) is NOT on the plane. It should be <-bc,-ac,-ab>*<x-a,y,z>.

In Method 2, my mistake can be traced to my statement under "2. Relevant equations": A(x-a)+B(y-b)+C(z-c)=0 is NOT the equation of the plane because again, (a,b,c) is not on the plane.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook