All possible planes, given two points

In summary: Point-normal_formIn summary, the conversation discusses finding the equation of a plane containing two given points in 3D space. The method involves using the cross product of the vector formed by the two points and an arbitrary vector to get the normal vector of the plane. The equation of the plane can then be written in the form ax + by + cz = d, with the values of a, b, and c determined by the normal vector and the value of d determined by substituting the given points into the equation. It is important to check for errors in the arithmetic when determining the normal vector and equation of the plane.
The Subject

Homework Statement

Find the equation of all planes containing the points P(2, -1, 1) and Q(1, 0, 0)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I use PQ to get a vector, (-1, -1, 1). I some how need to use another vector so I can use the cross product to find the planes.

So i let another point A(x, y, z) and find a vector PA, (x+1, y+1, z-1)?
If i use the cross product i get (-z-y, z+x, 2-y+x) with a scalar equation of a(-z-y)+b(z+x)+c(2-y+x) = 0

I don't feel confident with my conclusion, is there a concept I'm misunderstanding about finding the planes?

Physics news on Phys.org
The Subject said:

Homework Statement

Find the equation of all planes containing the points P(2, -1, 1) and Q(1, 0, 0)

Homework Equations

I use PQ to get a vector, (-1, -1, 1). I some how need to use another vector so I can use the cross product to find the planes.

So i let another point A(x, y, z) and find a vector PA, (x+1, y+1, z-1)?
If i use the cross product i get (-z-y, z+x, 2-y+x) with a scalar equation of a(-z-y)+b(z+x)+c(2-y+x) = 0

I don't feel confident with my conclusion, is there a concept I'm misunderstanding about finding the planes?
How many points determine one plane? What if you have fewer points than this number?

If you cross vector PQ with some other vector, how many planes does that determine?

Thanks for the insightful question, I actually had to check my understanding.

3 points, anything less contains no planes?

PQ cross with another vector gives me 1 plane.

Since PQ cross another vector (x y z), this should give me any possible planes for some arbitrary vector, right?

The Subject said:
Thanks for the insightful question, I actually had to check my understanding.

3 points, anything less contains no planes?
3 points uniquely determine 1 plane. If you have one or two points, how many different planes can pass thru these points?
PQ cross with another vector gives me 1 plane.

Since PQ cross another vector (x y z), this should give me any possible planes for some arbitrary vector, right?

Try it and see.

Oh okay, it contains infinite planes!

So I let the arbitrary vector (1, 1, 1) the I get - 2a+2b+2c=for some d.

I just realize, how do I ensure this scalar equation is correct?

Since I have points P and Q that needs to go through, it makes sense to sub abc with points P and Q. It seems I'm getting different numbers for d

The Subject said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Check your arithmetic. ##PQ \ne <-1, -1, 1>##.

Mark44 said:
Check your arithmetic. ##PQ \ne <-1, -1, 1>##.
Oh wow how did that happen! Thanks

The Subject said:
Oh okay, it contains infinite planes!

So I let the arbitrary vector (1, 1, 1) the I get - 2a+2b+2c=for some d.

I just realize, how do I ensure this scalar equation is correct?

Since I have points P and Q that needs to go through, it makes sense to sub abc with points P and Q. It seems I'm getting different numbers for d
Maybe you should review the equation of the plane in 3 dimensions:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plane_(geometry)

Likes The Subject

1. What is the definition of a plane?

A plane is a two-dimensional surface that extends infinitely in all directions. It is a flat surface that has no thickness or curvature.

2. How many planes can be drawn between two given points?

There are infinitely many planes that can be drawn between two given points. This is because a plane extends infinitely in all directions, so there is no limit to the number of planes that can be drawn between two points.

3. What is the equation of a plane in three-dimensional space?

The equation of a plane in three-dimensional space is Ax + By + Cz + D = 0, where A, B, and C are the coefficients of the x, y, and z variables and D is a constant term.

4. How do you find the slope of a plane given two points?

To find the slope of a plane given two points, you can use the slope formula for two points (y2-y1)/(x2-x1). This will give you the slope of the line that intersects the two points on the plane. The slope of the plane itself is perpendicular to this line.

5. Can two planes intersect at more than one point?

Yes, two planes can intersect at more than one point. If the two planes are parallel, they will never intersect. However, if they are not parallel, they can intersect at a line or at multiple points. The number of points at which two planes intersect depends on the orientation and position of the planes in relation to each other.