Equation of the line for a second order decay

In summary, the conversation is about a simple "inverse" proportion where y values halve as x values double. The equation for this is y = C/x or xy = C. It can also be expressed as y = Cx^{-1} as a power function. The conversation then shifts to a second order decay function, where the x value interval doubles and y values halve. The resulting equation is y = 1000/(x+10) or y = 100/2^n, with x = (10 x 2^n)/10. This function can be applied to a second order concentration decay with the initial concentration, Ao, and a constant, a. The question is raised about what type of function y
Miffymycat
What is it?! I have tried plotting dummy data showing y values halving as x values double and no simple type of equation results (ie exponential, power, polynomial etc) - is this true? I thought such a standard function would be a simple one!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes, it is pretty simple. You are talking about a simple "inverse" proportion: y= C/x or xy= C. When x doubles, that is, x becomes 2x, y must halve in order that the product be constant: (2x)(y/2)= xy= C. If you want to think of that as a "power" it is [itex]y= Cx^{-1}[/itex]

Miffymycat said:
What is it?! I have tried plotting dummy data showing y values halving as x values double and no simple type of equation results (ie exponential, power, polynomial etc) - is this true? I thought such a standard function would be a simple one!

What about y = A/x ?

EDIT -- Oops, beaten out by Halls again! :biggrin:

Sorry guys _ I meant that the x value interval doubles eg y = 100, 50, 25, 12.5; x = 0, 10, 30, 70 ie a second order decay where x represents elapsed time ie the half-life of the decay is doubling. Any ideas?

y=1000/(x+10)
You can express both x and y as functions of powers of 2 (2^n where n=0,1,2,...).
Eliminate 2^n to find y as function of x.

Second order decay - what's the function type?

Finally found a moment to complete this:

Second order decay function y = f(x) ie y halves as x doubles

Eg y = 100, 50, 25, 12.5, 6.25 when x = 0, 10, 30, 70, 150 etc
so y = 100/2^n and x = (10 x 2^n)/10
Eliminating 2^n gives y = 1000/(x+10)

Applying to a second order concentration decay where A is inital concentration, Ao = A at time t=0

A = Ao [a/(t+a)] where a is a second constant

What type of function is y = a/(a+x) classed as - hyperbola? inverse? None of these are fitted by Excel

Thank you to the Mathematicians out there!

doh ... again I mean y halves as the x INTERVAL doubles! Sorry

1. What is the equation for a second order decay?

The equation for a second order decay is given by:
N(t) = N0 * e-kt2

2. What do the variables in the equation represent?

N(t) represents the amount of substance remaining after time t, N0 represents the initial amount of substance, k is the decay constant, and t represents time.

3. How is the decay constant determined?

The decay constant, k, can be determined by plotting the natural logarithm of the remaining substance, ln(N(t)), against time, t, and finding the slope of the resulting line. The slope of this line will be equal to -k.

4. Can the equation be used for any type of decay?

No, the equation only applies to second order decay processes, where the rate of decay is directly proportional to the square of the remaining substance.

5. What are the units for the decay constant?

The units for the decay constant, k, will depend on the units used for time, t. For example, if t is measured in seconds, then the units for k will be inverse seconds (s-1).