Equation of the type mdx+ndy=0

• Thread starter chaoseverlasting
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Type
In summary: Oh, okay. I'll try that then.In summary, the student is trying to solve an equation that doesn't quite seem to fit into a certain category. They may need to review "exact equations" and "integrating factors" in order to solve it.
chaoseverlasting

Homework Statement

Solve:

[tex](3x^4siny-y^3)dx+(x^5cosy+3xy^2)dy=0[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

At first I thought it was a simple equation of the type mdx+ndy=0, but when I integrated m wrt x and ignored all terms containing x in n (all of them in this case), and added, I didnt get the solution.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem looks suspiciously like it was intended to be an exact equation but something messed up in transcribing it. Because it's not.

Yes...it does look like it would be an exact equation, but it's not quite there.

Is there anything we can do to make it so?

how about finding an integrating factor to multiply through in order to convert it to exact?

if...

[tex]\frac{My-Nx}{N}[/tex]

is a function of x only, then the solution to:

[tex]\frac{d\mu}{dx} = \frac{My-Nx}{N} \mu [/tex]

gives [tex]\mu[/tex] as the appropriate integrating factor

or if

[tex]\frac{Nx-My}{M}[/tex]

is a function of y only, then the solution to:

[tex]\frac{d\mu}{dx} = \frac{Nx-My}{M} \mu[/tex]

gives you the integrating factor, [tex]\mu[/tex]

Last edited:
Sure enough. There IS an integrating factor. Can you find it, chaoseverlasting?

No man. I have no idea what you guys are doing. The only integrating factor I know of is in the Linear DE. I don't think I can reduce this to a LDE

Then I strongly suggest you go back to your textbook and review "exact equations" and "integrating factors"!

The thing is, I am not even in college yet. I have a basic understanding of what DE's are but this one came in an exam. We haven't done this sort of thing.

chaoseverlasting said:
The thing is, I am not even in college yet. I have a basic understanding of what DE's are but this one came in an exam. We haven't done this sort of thing.

We believe you. :rolleyes:

Well, then just try and multiply the equation by x^n. Then apply the exactness test (dM/dy=dN/dx) and determine an n that works. Then go back and try your integration again. That's an example of an integrating factor.

1. What is the equation of the type mdx+ndy=0 used for?

The equation of the type mdx+ndy=0 is a linear equation that is often used to represent a relationship between two variables, x and y. It is commonly used in mathematics and physics to describe various physical phenomena.

2. How do you solve an equation of the type mdx+ndy=0?

To solve an equation of the type mdx+ndy=0, you need to rearrange the equation to solve for one of the variables, usually y. This can be done by dividing both sides of the equation by n and then simplifying. The resulting equation will be in the form y = -m/nx, which represents a straight line on a graph.

3. What is the significance of the coefficients m and n in the equation mdx+ndy=0?

The coefficients m and n represent the slope of the line that the equation represents. The slope is a measure of how steep the line is and determines the relationship between the two variables x and y. The value of m/n also determines the direction of the line, with positive values indicating an upward slope and negative values indicating a downward slope.

4. Can an equation of the type mdx+ndy=0 have more than one solution?

No, an equation of the type mdx+ndy=0 represents a straight line and therefore can only have one solution. The solution is the point where the line intersects the x-axis, and it is unique for every equation.

5. How is the equation of the type mdx+ndy=0 different from other types of equations?

Unlike other types of equations, the equation of the type mdx+ndy=0 represents a linear relationship between two variables, x and y. This means that the graph of the equation will always be a straight line. Other types of equations, such as quadratic or exponential equations, can have curved graphs.