Equations for Accelerated Motion Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the velocity of a car after accelerating for 8 seconds with a constant acceleration of 3.78 m/s. The average velocity is calculated to be 15.125 m/s, and using this value, the final velocity is determined to be 30.25 m/s. The answer is confirmed to be correct and the person expresses gratitude for the help.
Medgirl314

Homework Statement

Starting from rest, a car accelerates for 8 seconds with a constat acceleration. During this time it travels 121 meters. Find its velocity at the end of the 8 seconds.

Homework Equations

a=(2x)t^2
Vavg=(Vinital+Vfinal)/2

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I found the average velocity by deviding 121 by 8 to get 15.125.

Second, (with instruction from my physics teacher), I found the acceleration.
a=(2x)*8^2
a=(2*121)/64
242/64=3.78
a=3.78 m/s

Then, knowing the acceleration, I found the final velocity.

Vavg=(0+Vfinal)/2
15.125=(Vfinal)/2
15.125*2=30.25 m/s
So, Vfinal should be 30.25 m/s, correct? I'm fairly sure of my answer, but I like to check before I turn it in.

Thanks in advance for a reply!:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
seems good to me!...Answer is right.

Likes 1 person
Thank you! You are so helpful.

1. What is the equation for calculating acceleration?

The equation for calculating acceleration is a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

2. How do I solve for final velocity using the equation for accelerated motion?

To solve for final velocity, rearrange the equation a = (vf - vi)/t to vf = at + vi. Then, plug in the values for acceleration, initial velocity, and time to solve for vf.

3. Can the equation for accelerated motion be used for objects with changing acceleration?

Yes, the equation a = (vf - vi)/t can be used for objects with changing acceleration as long as the acceleration is constant over the given time period.

4. What units should be used for the values in the equation for accelerated motion?

The units for acceleration should be in meters per second squared (m/s^2), while the units for velocity should be in meters per second (m/s) and the units for time should be in seconds (s).

5. Is the equation for accelerated motion only applicable to objects moving in a straight line?

No, the equation a = (vf - vi)/t can be used for objects moving in a straight line, as well as objects moving in a curved path as long as the acceleration is constant over the given time period.