Equations governing cavitation, flow speed, and delta vapor pressure...

ellenb899
Homework Statement
I am looking for equations governing cavitation, flow speed, and delta vapor pressure, local pressure please!
Relevant Equations
Bernoulli's equations...
Looking for the flow speed for cavitation to occur

Physics news on Phys.org
30 second googling suggests good start could be something called "cavitation number".

Likes Lnewqban
Yes I have found that. It is the rearranging for velocity as I do not have a value for cavitation number.

In a flow, if the pressure drops below the vapor pressure of the fluid cavitation can occur. There is no “cavitation velocity” as far as I remember.

Likes Lnewqban
Flow velocity of the fluid is what I am talking about

ellenb899 said:
Flow velocity of the fluid is what I am talking about
but it depends on pressure, not velocity. There is no single “cavitation velocity”.

The question gives the 2 pressures, and asks which flow speed would cavitation be possible in the liquid.

ellenb899 said:
The question gives the 2 pressures, and asks which flow speed would cavitation be possible in the liquid.
Post the whole question please. Is there a diagram?

No diagram. Question is as follows:
The vapor pressure of water is 23.3hPa and the total pressure is 30hPa. At which flow speed would cavitation be possible in the liquid?

ellenb899 said:
The vapor pressure of water is 23.3hPa and the total pressure is 30hPa. At which flow speed would cavitation be possible in the liquid?
Do you have a relationship for the total pressure?

ellenb899 said:
Please, see:
https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/airplane/bern.html

As the flow velocity increases, so does the dynamic pressure at expense of the static pressure, if the total pressure remains the same (as the problem seems to imply).
As the velocity of the flow increases, cavitation will start when the decreasing static pressure reaches the value of the vapor pressure.

Magic-Water-Illustration-e1548771890348.jpg

Last edited:
erobz said:
Do you have a relationship for the total pressure?
No I dont

ellenb899 said:
No I dont
But you have in the relevant equations section "Bernoulli's"?

$$ P_s + \rho g h + \rho \frac{V^2}{2} = \text{constant} = P_{total} $$

That was an attempt. Referring to your first answer it is cavitation number equation that is used.

ellenb899 said:
That was an attempt. Referring to your first answer it is cavitation number equation that is used.
But that is the relevant equation... Imagining a single location of a flow having total pressure ##P_{total} = 30 \rm{hPa}##. The Static Pressure ##P_s## cannot drop below the vapor pressure of the liquid ( i.e. ##P_{static} > P_{vapor}##), or cavitation can occur. Since we are examining at a single location, the elevation ##h## can be taken as the ##0## datum without consequence.

What are you left with using all the information?

Likes Lnewqban
$$ v = \sqrt \frac 2P p $$

ellenb899 said:
$$ v = \sqrt \frac 2P p $$
Lets take this one step at a time:

Start with:

$$ P_{static} > P_{vapor} $$

The left hand side ##P_{static}## can be represented in terms of ##P_{total}## and ##V## using the equation for ##P_{total}## in post #13. What is that result?

P.S. thank you for using ##LaTeX##

$$ \sqrt{\frac{2p}{p}} = \frac{p_{\text{static}}}{v} $$

ellenb899 said:
$$ \sqrt{\frac{2p}{p}} = \frac{p_{\text{static}}}{v} $$
It's an inequality. We need to end with ##V < \text{something}##. And, that is not one step...

Substitute into the inequality for ##P_{static}## using the equation in post#13 ( it labled ##P_s## in that post) . We are trying to get rid of ##P_{static}## in the inequality by replacing it with variables we know ##P_{total}## and variables we want to know ##V##.

Please just write the resulting inequality of that step.

$$ \cdots > P_{vapor}$$

fill in the blank ##\cdots## on the left hand side (LHS).

$$ \frac{p_{\text{static}}}{v} > P_{\text{vapour}} $$

But if looking for v value, it cannot be an inequality?

ellenb899 said:
$$ \frac{p_{\text{static}}}{v} > P_{\text{vapour}} $$
Incorrect. There should be nothing on the lefthand side other than the variables ##P_{total}## and ##V##. try again.

ellenb899 said:
But if looking for v value, it cannot be an inequality?
You have to think a bit here about what things mean. You're just ( rather poorly - without care) throwing variables around...its a waste of time.

$$ \frac{p_{\text{total}}}{V} > P_{\text{vapour}} $$

ellenb899 said:
$$ \frac{p_{\text{total}}}{V} > P_{\text{vapour}} $$
No. use the equation in post #13... This step needs to look like:

$$ \overbrace{\text{something} \pm \text{something}}^{ = P_{static}} > P_{vapor} $$

Last edited:

1. What are the equations governing cavitation?

The equations governing cavitation typically involve the Bernoulli equation, which relates the pressure, velocity, and elevation of a fluid. Additionally, the Rayleigh-Plesset equation is commonly used to describe the dynamics of cavitation bubbles in a liquid.

2. How does flow speed affect cavitation?

Flow speed plays a crucial role in cavitation as it influences the pressure distribution within a fluid. Higher flow speeds can lead to lower pressures, increasing the likelihood of cavitation occurring in a system.

3. What is delta vapor pressure in the context of cavitation?

Delta vapor pressure refers to the difference between the actual vapor pressure of a liquid and the local pressure in a system. This parameter is essential in determining the potential for cavitation to occur, as it affects the formation and collapse of vapor bubbles.

4. How do the equations governing cavitation impact system performance?

The equations governing cavitation provide insights into the behavior of fluids under varying conditions, allowing engineers to optimize system performance and prevent damage caused by cavitation. By understanding these equations, designers can make informed decisions to minimize cavitation effects.

5. Can cavitation be completely eliminated using these equations?

While the equations governing cavitation can help predict and mitigate its effects, completely eliminating cavitation may not always be possible. However, by applying the principles outlined in these equations, engineers can significantly reduce the likelihood and severity of cavitation in fluid systems.