Equations vs. Functions Quadratic and Cubic?

In summary, functions with even powers or a combination of even powers (such as x^2, x^4, etc.) are not subject to a horizontal rule and are considered functions. Functions with odd powers or a combination of odd and even powers (such as x^3, x^5+x^7, etc.) are not subject to a vertical rule and are also considered functions. The choice of which variable is considered dependent or independent is arbitrary and does not affect the function itself.
shintashi
So if i take the rules that a straight vertical line drawn through the function with more than one intersection implies it is not a function, to mean that the quadratic equation for a circle is not a function.

Furthermore, it also implies a cubic equation, such as x^3 can be a function, because the solutions will not have both a positive and negative. And if I am to generalize, it can be said that all even powers, quartic functions, etc., i.e., if the power is such that the equation has x^2, x^4, x^6, x^8, etc., then it is NOT a function,

but lacking any of those if an equation has odd powers, X^1, X^3, X^5, X^7, etc., any of these or combinations would generally be a function? So X^4+X^2 would be NOT a function, while X^7+X^3+nX^1 etc. would be, and if we mix the odd and even, the even powered variables automatically cause the whole equation to fall outside of a function, thus x^5+X^4+X^3 is canceled as a function because of the X^4.

is there anything else i should look for in identifying the differences?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
shintashi said:
So if i take the rules that a straight vertical line drawn through the function with more than one intersection implies it is not a function, to mean that the quadratic equation for a circle is not a function.
There are more general functions where you can have a circle, but on a high school level: Yes.
shintashi said:
And if I am to generalize, it can be said that all even powers, quartic functions, etc., i.e., if the power is such that the equation has x^2, x^4, x^6, x^8, etc., then it is NOT a function,
Huh? A vertical line will intersect f(x)=x2 exactly one, never twice. It is a function.
shintashi said:
and if we mix the odd and even, the even powered variables automatically cause the whole equation to fall outside of a function, thus x^5+X^4+X^3 is canceled as a function because of the X^4.
That doesn't make any sense.

Likes shintashi
ah, i was thinking with a rotation of 90 degrees with my x and y reversed (in blender Z is vertical and X and Y are subjective)
f(y) doesn't work with the above formulas if a function is canceled by a vertical line.
for example:
x = y^3, x = y^1, x = y^3+y^5, x = y^3+y^7 all of these produce graphs as functions of y,
but
x = y^4, x = y^2, x = y^4+y^6, x = y^2+y^6 etc. are all NON functions because of the vertical rule...

or am i missing something? does f(y) exist?
does the vertical rule apply to functions of y? or do functions of y use a horizontal rule?

https://ibb.co/nOQSES
nonfunctions.png

here's a comparison graph of what my brain was thinking but had turned 90 degrees. So do functions of y exist and do the rules for non functions remain vertical lines or do they switch to horizontal lines?

Attachments

• nonfunctions.png
    nonfunctions.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 475
  • nonfunctions.png
    nonfunctions.png
    14.7 KB · Views: 611
shintashi said:
ah, i was thinking with a rotation of 90 degrees with my x and y reversed (in blender Z is vertical and X and Y are subjective)
f(y) doesn't work with the above formulas if a function is canceled by a vertical line.
for example:
x = y^3, x = y^1, x = y^3+y^5, x = y^3+y^7 all of these produce graphs as functions of y,
but
x = y^4, x = y^2, x = y^4+y^6, x = y^2+y^6 etc. are all NON functions because of the vertical rule...
All of the above are functions, with x being a function of y. In all of these equations if we assume that x is the dependent variable and y is the independent variable, these would usually be graphed with the vertical axis being used for x and the horizontal axis being used for y. With this assumption a vertical line would intersect (not cancel) the graph once.

If you solve each of the 2nd set of equations for y, so that y is in terms of x, then none of these (in the 2nd set) is a function. For example, if you solve x = y^2 for y, you get ##y = \pm \sqrt x##. Each x value, with x > 0, pairs with two y values

shintashi said:
or am i missing something? does f(y) exist?
In all your equations, both sets, you have x as a function of y, or x = f(y). In that regard, they are all functions. It's only when you solve each of the equations in the 2nd set for y in terms of x, that you don't also have y as a function of x.
shintashi said:
does the vertical rule apply to functions of y? or do functions of y use a horizontal rule?
The vertical rule applies when the dependent variable is on the vertical axis and the independent variable is on the horizontal axis.

ok, so, to clarify

vertical rule applies to
y = f(x) = x^2+x^4+x^6...
y = f(x) = x^1+x^3+x^5...
or a combination of any of these, and because they are not subject to a horizontal rule, they are still functions...

But,

horizontal rule applies to
x = f(y) = y^2+y^4+y^6...
x = f(y) = y^1+y^3+y^5...
or a combination of any of these, and because they are not subject to a vertical rule, they are still functions...

and ultimately, whatever axis "f(n)" translates to, that is the rule it follows:
i.e., if f(n) is used to plot y, or equals y, it has a vertical rule,
and if f(n) is used to plot x, or equals x, it has a horizontal rule.

Something i don't understand though about dependent and independent variables:
in x^2 + y^2 = 1
mathwords.com says x is the independent variable, and y is the dependent variable.
Why? Why not the other way around, or why not just 1 as the dependent variable?

I don't think these "vertical rules" and "horizontal rules" are very useful.

A function must have a unique value for every argument ("input"). ##f(y)=y^2+7y^5## has a unique value of f(y) for every y. It is the same function as ##f(x)=x^2+7x^5## or ##f(\alpha)=\alpha^2+7\alpha^5##. How you plot this function is a different question.
shintashi said:
in x^2 + y^2 = 1
mathwords.com says x is the independent variable, and y is the dependent variable.
Why? Why not the other way around, or why not just 1 as the dependent variable?
It is arbitrary what you consider independent and what you consider dependent. The two variables depend on each other, but the situation is clearly symmetric.

1. What is the difference between an equation and a function?

An equation is a mathematical statement that shows the relationship between two or more variables. A function, on the other hand, is a rule that assigns exactly one output for every input. In other words, a function is a specific type of equation that has only one output for every input.

2. How do you identify if an equation is quadratic or cubic?

An equation is quadratic if it has a variable raised to the second power (e.g. x^2). It is cubic if it has a variable raised to the third power (e.g. x^3). Additionally, a quadratic equation has a degree of 2, while a cubic equation has a degree of 3.

3. What are some real-life applications of quadratic and cubic equations/functions?

Quadratic equations/functions can be used to model the trajectory of a thrown object, such as a ball, or to determine the optimal shape of a bridge or arch. Cubic equations/functions can be used to model the growth of a population, the volume of a container, or the motion of a swinging pendulum.

4. How do you solve quadratic and cubic equations/functions?

Quadratic equations/functions can be solved using the quadratic formula or by factoring. Cubic equations/functions can be solved using the cubic formula or by factoring. In some cases, you may also be able to use graphing or numerical methods to solve these equations/functions.

5. Can a quadratic or cubic equation have more than one solution?

Yes, a quadratic equation can have two solutions, and a cubic equation can have three solutions. These solutions can be real or complex numbers. In addition, some cubic equations may have only one real solution or no real solutions at all.