1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equilibrium and tension in elastic strings

1. Apr 2, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    problem attached

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    well, there is pretty much nothing i can write here, i couldn't solve it because this is the first time i face a problem like that , i have some problems understanding it though
    1-if we considered the tension a force that make a moment , (eg tension in PC ) where will be that force so i can take a distance will it be at P or C ?
    2- in other problems of equilibrium , when i take the distance , i take the distance to pivot ( in this one A ) but in this one , in the marking scheme , he took the distance to AB , and not the point A , why?
    3- he took the force of tension in the horizontal string to have a moment and when he mentioned the distance , it was the distance to the point A and not the vertical AB why?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2014 #2
    Never mind.. a friend saw the question and answered me
    Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted