Equilibrium concentration of majority and minority carriers

In summary, the equilibrium concentration of majority carriers (n_{o}) for silicon doped with 3x10^{15} boron atoms/cm^{3} at 27°C is 0. The equilibrium concentration of minority carriers (p_{o}) is infinity. The resistivity for silicon is unknown as the necessary data is not provided. The equations used to calculate n_{o} and p_{o} are provided, but it is unclear if the data used is accurate. There is also no mention of how to calculate resistivity.
shayaan_musta

Homework Statement

Give the equilibrium concentration of majority and minority carriers and resistivity for Silicon which is doped with 3x10[itex]^{15}[/itex] boron atoms/cm[itex]^{3}[/itex] at 27°C.

Homework Equations

n[itex]_{o}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{N_{d}-N_{a}}{2}[/itex]+[itex]\sqrt{(\frac{N_{d}-N_{a}}{2})^{2}+(n_{i})^{2}}[/itex]
p[itex]_{o}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{N_{a}-N_{d}}{2}[/itex]+[itex]\sqrt{(\frac{N_{a}-N_{d}}{2})^{2}+(n_{i})^{2}}[/itex]
n[itex]_{o}[/itex]p[itex]_{o}[/itex] = n[itex]_{i}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

DATA
n[itex]_{o}[/itex] (equilibrium concentration of majority carriers) = ?
p[itex]_{o}[/itex] (equilibrium concentration of minority carriers) = ?
[itex]\rho[/itex] (resistivity for Silicon) = ?
N[itex]_{a}[/itex] = 3x10[itex]^{15}[/itex] atoms/cm[itex]^{3}[/itex]
T = 27°C+273 = 273K
n[itex]_{i}[/itex] (for silicon at 300K) = 1.5x10[itex]^{10}[/itex] atoms/cm[itex]^{3}[/itex]

SOLUTION
n[itex]_{o}[/itex] = 0 (I calculated this)
p[itex]_{o}[/itex] = infinity

I used the above given 1st equation to calculate n[itex]_{o}[/itex]. And used 3rd equation to calculate the p[itex]_{o}[/itex].
Actually, I am confused whether I extracted right data or not. And I don't know how to calculate resistivity?

Please tell me where is mistake in the data and Solution.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please help me experts.

What is the concept of equilibrium concentration of majority and minority carriers?

The equilibrium concentration of majority and minority carriers refers to the point at which the number of majority and minority carriers in a material are balanced. This occurs when there is no external influence, such as an electric field, affecting the movement of carriers within the material.

How is the equilibrium concentration of majority and minority carriers determined?

The equilibrium concentration of majority and minority carriers is determined by the properties of the material, such as its bandgap and doping level. These properties dictate the number of available carriers and how easily they can move within the material.

What is the significance of the equilibrium concentration of majority and minority carriers?

The equilibrium concentration of majority and minority carriers is an important concept in understanding the behavior of semiconductor materials. It helps to determine the electrical conductivity and other properties of the material, which are crucial for the design and functioning of electronic devices.

How does temperature affect the equilibrium concentration of majority and minority carriers?

Temperature plays a significant role in the equilibrium concentration of majority and minority carriers. As the temperature increases, the number of available carriers also increases, leading to a decrease in the equilibrium concentration. This is due to the increased thermal energy allowing more carriers to break free from their bound states.

Can the equilibrium concentration of majority and minority carriers be altered?

Yes, the equilibrium concentration of majority and minority carriers can be altered by changing the material properties, such as doping level, or by applying an external influence, such as an electric field. This can be utilized in electronic devices to control the flow of carriers and manipulate the behavior of the material.