Equilibrium Constant: Valid under what conditions?

In summary, the equilibrium constant is derived by minimizing the Gibbs free energy, which means that the reaction must take place at constant temperature, pressure, and moles in order to determine the products. However, the equilibrium constant can change with temperature due to the dependence of ∆G on temperature. Therefore, if the temperature changes, the system will move away from equilibrium and tend towards a new minimum energy state. Additionally, the relationship (dG)T,P,m = 0 only applies to state variables at equilibrium and does not depend on how the system got to that state.
Saladsamurai
Hello all! :smile:

I am wondering: Since we derive the equilibrium constant by minimizing the Gibbs free energy, it means that me are taking advantage of the fact that at the minimum, we have [itex](dG)_{T,P,m}=0[/itex]. Does this mean that in order to determine the products of a reaction using the equilibrium constant then the reaction must take place at constant T, P, and m?

Thanks for your time!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I know that Ka values can change at different temperatures and ∆G has a dependence on temperature based on ∆G=∆H - T∆S. So if you have ∆G = O at a certain temp and you change that temp then you are changing the (T∆S) term thereby making ∆G =/= 0. This moves the system away from equilibrium and it will then tend to the new minimum energy by the appropriate means.

EDIT: Let me say that I'm no expert by far and if you are looking for a definitive answer I'd wait for a true expert to come along. I'm wrong on plenty of things and although I think the overall answer is correct, the reasoning may be off or incomplete.

Last edited:
Thanks for replying Yanick :smile: I did some more thinking and research on this one. (dG)T,P,m=0 is simply a relationship between state variables AT equilibrium. It does not matter HOW they got to equilibrium. If we know that a reaction has come to equilibrium and we are somehow able to specify T, P, and m, then the composition can be determined using the equilibrium constant. You are of course correct in that K varies with T (and P and m) for exactly the above reason.

1. What is the equilibrium constant and why is it important?

The equilibrium constant is a value that represents the ratio of products to reactants at equilibrium in a chemical reaction. It is important because it helps us understand the direction and extent of a reaction, and can be used to predict how changing conditions will affect the equilibrium.

2. What are the conditions necessary for the equilibrium constant to be valid?

The equilibrium constant is valid when the reaction is at equilibrium and the temperature remains constant. Additionally, the reaction must take place in a closed system, meaning no reactants or products can enter or leave the system.

3. Can the equilibrium constant be used for all types of reactions?

No, the equilibrium constant can only be used for reactions that are reversible, meaning they can proceed in both the forward and reverse directions. It also only applies to reactions that have reached equilibrium.

4. How does the equilibrium constant change with a change in temperature?

The equilibrium constant is affected by changes in temperature. In general, an increase in temperature favors the endothermic reaction (absorbs heat) and decreases the equilibrium constant, while a decrease in temperature favors the exothermic reaction (releases heat) and increases the equilibrium constant.

5. Is the equilibrium constant the same for all concentrations of reactants and products?

The equilibrium constant is a constant value, but it can vary depending on the initial concentrations of reactants and products. However, as long as the temperature and pressure remain constant, the equilibrium constant will always have the same value for a specific reaction.