Equilibrium force problem torque

In summary: Third, analyze the torque about one of the supports.In summary, the problem involves a beam 8 meters long with two supports. The beam has a weight of 6kg and a weight is placed 2m from the support on the right. The question is asking for the force on each support. To solve this, draw a FBD and consider the requirements for equilibrium. Analyze the torque about one of the supports to find the forces on each support.
gnsdraw
there is a beam 8 meters long that is supported by two supports. the beam weighs 6kg and a weight is put 2m from the support on the right. what is the force on each of the supports?

could someone please explain how to do this, my solutions turned out to be 49 and 88, when i believe it should be 45 and 92. i know torques have to be involved but i did it without

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi gnsdraw,

gnsdraw said:
there is a beam 8 meters long that is supported by two supports. the beam weighs 6kg and a weight is put 2m from the support on the right. what is the force on each of the supports?

could someone please explain how to do this, my solutions turned out to be 49 and 88, when i believe it should be 45 and 92. i know torques have to be involved but i did it without

How did you get those answers?

there is the force weight from the beam, weight from the block, and normal on each support. can anyone tell me how to set it up, that's all i really need.

gnsdraw said:
there is the force weight from the beam, weight from the block, and normal on each support. can anyone tell me how to set it up, that's all i really need.

First, draw a FBD and label all of the forces acting on the beam.

Include the distance from one of the end supports to mass and the other end support.

Second, think about the requirements for equilibrium.

CS

What is equilibrium force problem torque?

Equilibrium force problem torque is a physics concept that involves the balance of forces and torques acting on an object in a state of equilibrium. It is used to determine the unknown forces and torques in a system.

How do you solve an equilibrium force problem torque?

To solve an equilibrium force problem torque, you need to first draw a free body diagram of the object and identify all the forces and torques acting on it. Then, you can use the equations of equilibrium, which state that the sum of all forces and torques acting on an object must equal zero, to solve for the unknowns.

What are the types of forces involved in an equilibrium force problem torque?

The types of forces involved in an equilibrium force problem torque include gravitational force, normal force, frictional force, tension force, and applied force. These forces can either be balanced or unbalanced, depending on the state of equilibrium.

What is the difference between static and dynamic equilibrium in an equilibrium force problem torque?

In static equilibrium, the object is at rest and all the forces and torques acting on it are balanced. In dynamic equilibrium, the object is in motion with a constant velocity, but the forces and torques acting on it are still balanced. In both cases, the object does not accelerate.

How is torque calculated in an equilibrium force problem torque?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the pivot point. This is known as the lever arm or moment arm. The unit of torque is Newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb) depending on the unit system used.