1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help with PHYS-1 Problem Forces/Static/Equilibrium

1. Oct 30, 2016 #1
    A gymnast with mass 56.5 kg stands on the end of a uniform balance beam as shown in the figure below. The beam is 5.00 m long and has a mass of 250 kg (excluding the mass of the two supports). Each support is 0.530 m from its end of the beam. In unit-vector notation, what are the forces on the beam due to support 1 and support 2?
    12-p-076.gif

2. Relevant equations
    F=ma
    Torque=I*alpha

and where there is no acceleration, the sums are equal to 0.

Setting up the forces as the following:
    F1 = support 1
    F2 = support 2
    F3 = gravitational force in center of beam
    F4 = force of the gymnast at the end

I used Newton 2 for the sum of the forces in equilibrium (acceleration = 0)...
    F1+F2+F3+F4=ma=0 where F3 = (250kg*g), F4=(56.5kg*g)
    F1+F2+306.5g=0
    1.) F2=-F1-306.5g
    Then Newton II for sum of the torques.... Where L is the length of the beam, and point I will rotate is located at the point where the gymnast is, so I can simplify the calculations.

2.)F1*4.47m +F3*2.5m+F2*0.053m=0

Next, I plugged 1( solved F2) into (2)

Simplifying, I get F1=1150.52N

Please help, and thank you in advance for you time and generosity.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2016 #2
    For one, your work indicates that the support posts are positioned L/6 from the ends, but that isn't what is given in the problem. But it looks like your set up of the problem is good. I just think you made some errors in working through your equations. Based on the geometry of the problem, F1 is going to be less than F2. So yeah, your 2588 N for F1 is going to be too high.

4. Oct 30, 2016 #3

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

What're you doing here?

You're writing it in terms of g? Why're all the signs positive? Did you draw a force diagram?

5. Oct 30, 2016 #4
    I finally figured it out...

6. Oct 30, 2016 #5
    Yes, I just implicated g= -9.8m/s^2
    Thank you both for your replies

7. Oct 30, 2016 #6
    Yeah, I was going to comment on that also. I prefer to define the forces in the direction that I know (or think) they will be in reality. In this problem, you can know ahead of time, based on the geometry, the direction of all of the forces. So I would have written F1 + F2 = F3 + F4.

Also, when I do torque calculations, rather than summing all of the forces to equal 0, it is easier for me to do CW = CCW, based on the direction that I defined all of the forces. But that is just my personal preference. I just like positive numbers better than negative numbers. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted