1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equilibrium: Minimum Cable Length

1. Jun 15, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The above figure shows a uniform iron beam of mass 253 kg and length L = 3 m. The cable holding the beam in place can take a tension of 1300 N before it breaks. Use the Young's Modulus for steel to be 200e9 N/m2. (You may ignore the small mass of the cable in this calculation.) a)What minimum length of the cable?
    Lengthmin= m

HELP: How will the torque placed on the beam by the cable depend on the angle between the cable and the beam??
    b)Assume the cable is made of steel and has a diameter of 1". How much will it stretch before it breaks?
    Δmax = cm

HELP: Young's modulus for steel is 200X109N/m2.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

for a)

I set the forces in the x up like :
    mgcos(phi)-Fcos(theta)=0

y:
    Fsin(phi)+Tsin(theta)-W=0

torque
    -Wdsin(180)+TLsin(theta)=0

where phi is the angle of the wall the normal force and theta is the angle of the cable and the beam. i dont know where x comes into play

for part b i think it would be like this

stress=1050/(1.27^2pi)

stress/20000000=strain

change in L will be strain*the L from part a

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2011 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

I don't follow the first term. It should be the weight times the distance from the pivot to the center of mass, which is L/2. There is no angle involved since the weight acts perpendicular to the beam. I agree with your second term. Solve for the angle theta, from which you can calculate the length of the cable.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook