1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equilibrium of a Rigid Body, a boom of a crane

1. Nov 13, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The boom in the figure below weighs 2600 N and is attached to a frictionless pivot at its lower end. It is not uniform; the distance of its center of gravity from the pivot is 35.0 % of its length.

2. Relevant equations
    Find the tension in the guy wire.
    Find the vertical component of the force exerted on the boom at its lower end.
    Find the horizontal component of the force exerted on the boom at its lower end.

3. The attempt at a solution

I have already found the correct answers for the tension in the guy wire=3412N, the vertical component of the force on the boom=7600N, but i'm so confused and cant read my notes and what I did to find the Horizontal component. I wrote down "horizontal=guywire plus jasdlkfjas;dlj" so I just dont know what the jaskdfljs is! please advise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2011 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Draw a free body diagram of the boom. Label and insert forces, known and unknown. Write equations of static equilibrium. Solve for unknown forces.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook