Moment about a point of a crane

In summary: But it is the hypotenuse of the small triangle that we are interested in.In summary, the problem involves finding the placement x of a hook at point B on a crane boom, so that a force of 5.8 kN at the end of the boom creates a maximum moment about point O at an angle of 30 degrees. By using geometry and trigonometry, the solution is found by determining the lengths of the sides of a small triangle formed by extending the boom and drawing a line down to the base, and using the 1, 2, sqrt(3) proportion of a 30/60/90 triangle. The final value for x is 9.448m. Mental overload may occur during the
Robb

Homework Statement

Hibbeler14.ch4.p11.jpg

The towline exerts a force of P = 5.8 kN at the end of the 8-m-long crane boom.

If θ = 30∘ determine the placement x of the hook at B so that this force creates a maximum moment about point O.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

M(max)= 8(5800) = 4.64kN*m

My initial thought was to find the components of P but there is not enough info for that. I've seen some other work equating the x & y distances to M(max) but without another angle I'm not sure where to go.

Physics news on Phys.org
What must the angle between the boom and towline be for maximum moment (torque) about O?

Likes PhanthomJay
90. So the angle between P and the x-axis is 60?

5.8sin60 - 5.8cos60(x) = 4.64kN*m

Yes. It becomes a geometry problem now. Not sure where you are going with your equation. When you solve for 'x' does it make sense?

No, I guess not. The magnitude of the vertical force component = 4.64sin(60)= 4.02kN*m. Not sure from there. Obviously the horizontal force component is 4.64cos(60)= 2.32kN*m but I'm not sure what to do with that info. I know the vertical component gets multiplied by the horizontal distance and the horizontal by the vertical distance.

You are trying to find the distance 'x'. At this point, the distance 'x' is the same if there is 5.8 kN on the towline or 1 N on the towline. Look at the triangle(s) formed.

Last edited:
upload_2016-10-5_22-15-33.png

Here is my drawing.

Attachments

• upload_2016-10-5_22-11-50.png
    upload_2016-10-5_22-11-50.png
    92.8 KB · Views: 608
Looks good. But that is almost a triangle. Add a mini triangle to the right-hand side by extending AO down to the base and from O straight down to the base. You have enough information to determine the lengths of the sides of the mini and therefore the big one.

So, the new boom length ( with the samll triangle) is 9.15m. The leg opposite the 30 degree angle is 5.29 and the hypotenuse is 10.57 (x value). Subtract .568 (base of small traingle) from 10.57 and x=10.

Can you repost your new picture. Something does not seem right.

upload_2016-10-6_10-53-35.png

The lengths of the two sides of the small triangle are switched.

Not switched--I mean not right.

r=1/cos(30)= 1.15
x=sqrt(1.15^2-1)= .568

The base of the small triangle is the hypotenuse of the large triangle.

If r is the hypotenuse of the small triangle then sin(30) = 1/r. "Opposite/hypotenuse".

I will go ahead and chalk that up to mental overload!

So side adjacent 30 degree angle is 10m, side opposite is 5 and hypotenuse is 11.18. Adjacent side on small triangle is 1.732. X=1.732-11.18=9.448m. I'm assuming this is not the x I need. Looking at the drawing, that length (9.448) seems counter intuitive.

True: big triangle--side adjacent to 30-degree angle is 10 m.
False: big triangle--side opposite is 5 m.
False: big triangle--hypotenuse is 11.18.

Recall the 1, 2, sqrt(3) proportion of a 30/60/90 triangle.

By the way, Robb--mental overload...been there many times. Take a step back, walk away slowly, re-engage!

Last edited:
Ok. Base = 10; Side opposite 30 degree angle=5.77; hypotenuse(x)=11.54

All looks correct except for relating 'x' with the hypotenuse. 'x' is less than the hypotenuse of the big triangle.

1. What is a moment about a point in a crane?

A moment about a point is a measure of the tendency of a force to rotate an object around a specific point.

2. How is the moment about a point of a crane calculated?

The moment about a point of a crane is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the crane by the distance from the point to the line of action of the force.

3. What is the significance of the moment about a point in crane engineering?

The moment about a point is an important factor in crane engineering as it helps determine the stability and strength of the crane. It also helps in designing the crane's structure and ensuring safe operation.

4. How does the moment about a point affect the lifting capacity of a crane?

The moment about a point affects the lifting capacity of a crane by causing the crane to tilt or tip over if the moment becomes too large. The crane's lifting capacity is also limited by the maximum allowable moment about a point.

5. How can the moment about a point of a crane be controlled?

The moment about a point of a crane can be controlled by adjusting the position and angle of the crane's boom, as well as properly distributing the weight of the load being lifted. It is important to regularly check and maintain the crane's stability to prevent accidents caused by an uncontrolled moment about a point.