1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equilibrium of a spring and speed.

Tags:
  1. Aug 27, 2015 #1
    Let's say I have a mass attached to an oscillating spring on a friction less horizontal surface. Why is it that the speed of the mass is greatest at equilibrium? I would have thought it would be greatest just before reaching the amplitudes due to maximum kinetic energy?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2015 #2
    Because the restoring force accelerates the mass till it reaches the equilibrium position .

On the contrary , the speed decreases and becomes zero when the mass reaches the extreme point.

4. Aug 27, 2015 #3
    I see so as it passes the equilibrium, does the net force begin acting opposite to the motion decreasing velocity?

5. Aug 27, 2015 #4
    Right .

6. Aug 27, 2015 #5
    Thank you

7. Aug 28, 2015 #6

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The restoring force always acts toward the equilibrium point. So, when the mass moves toward the equilibrium point, the force speeds it up; when it moves away, the force slows it down.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook