Equilibrium of frame with two masses

In summary: M)gIn summary, the question asks for the tension T, γ and β in part 2 of a question. The equation for the tension T is found by taking torque about the point O, and from the balance of force, it is found that Tcosβ=(m+M)g + F cos γ. Tsinβ = Fsinγ.
VHAHAHA

Homework Statement

I need to find the tension T, γ and β in part 2 of this question.
The question is attached.

Homework Equations

First of all, the frame is a right angle triangle because (3L)^2 + (4L)^2 = (5L)^2
take torque about the point O
we got 2LF + mg(4Lcosγ) = Mg(3Lsinγ)
from the balance of force, we got
Tcosβ=(m+M)g + F cos γ
Tsinβ = Fsinγ

The Attempt at a Solution

I have listed these 3 equations but I don't know how to solve them
Please give me some help

Attachments

• question.png
    question.png
    23 KB · Views: 409
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi VHAHAHA! :smile:

Hint: if there were only three forces, they would all have to go through the same point. :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi VHAHAHA! :smile:

Hint: if there were only three forces, they would all have to go through the same point. :wink:

But i think that there are 4 forces

Do u mean that i have to combine 2 gravitational force into 1 combined force so that there is 3 force?

(just got up :zzz:)
VHAHAHA said:
Do u mean that i have to combine 2 gravitational force into 1 combined force so that there is 3 force?

Yup! :biggrin:

The two gravitaitonal forces are known, and they're easy to add …

so go for it! :wink:

the combined g force = (m+M)g
how do go to the same point? i can't see any common point

btw
Why 3 force will meet at a point if it is at eqm.
It there any proof? thanks

VHAHAHA said:
the combined g force = (m+M)g
how do go to the same point? i can't see any common point

Just use the resultant. :smile:

(It goes through the point where you'd have to put the fulcrum if you wanted to balance it)

btw
Why 3 force will meet at a point if it is at eqm.
It there any proof? thanks

Suppose only two forces go through a point …

then, if you take moments about that point, the moments of those two forces will be zero, and the moment of the third force won't! :wink:

I don't understand
If we see part 1
T=(M+m)g
but these 3 force don't have the common point
they are parallel

VHAHAHA said:
… part 1

but these 3 force don't have the common point
they are parallel

ah, they have a common point "at infinity" :wink:

alternatively, my argument only applied when …
tiny-tim said:
Suppose only two forces go through a point …

… and in part 1, two forces don't go through a point (except "at infinity")! :smile:

Thank you.
But i still don't understand
There are 4 forces! How to use this rule in part 2 =

1. How do you determine the equilibrium of a frame with two masses?

To determine the equilibrium of a frame with two masses, you need to first draw a free body diagram of the frame and identify all the external forces acting on it. Then, using the equations of equilibrium, you can solve for the unknown forces and moments to determine if the frame is in equilibrium or not.

2. What are the equations of equilibrium used for determining the equilibrium of a frame with two masses?

The equations of equilibrium include the sum of forces in the x, y, and z directions being equal to zero, as well as the sum of moments about any point being equal to zero. These equations are based on Newton's laws of motion and can be used to analyze the forces and moments acting on a frame with two masses.

3. Can a frame with two masses be in equilibrium if the masses are not evenly distributed?

Yes, a frame with two masses can still be in equilibrium even if the masses are not evenly distributed. As long as the sum of forces and moments acting on the frame is equal to zero, it will be in equilibrium. However, the distribution of the masses can affect the magnitude and direction of the forces and moments needed to maintain equilibrium.

4. How does the position of the masses affect the equilibrium of a frame with two masses?

The position of the masses can affect the equilibrium of a frame by changing the distribution of forces and moments acting on the frame. If the masses are closer to one end of the frame, it may require more force or moment on the other end to maintain equilibrium. Additionally, the position of the masses can affect the stability of the frame, as it may be more prone to tipping if the masses are not evenly distributed.

5. What are some real-world applications of analyzing the equilibrium of a frame with two masses?

Understanding the equilibrium of a frame with two masses is important in structural engineering, as it can help determine the stability and strength of buildings and bridges. It is also relevant in mechanical engineering, as it is used to design and analyze structures such as cranes and scaffolding. Additionally, the concept of equilibrium is important in physics and can be applied to various systems involving multiple masses and forces.