Equilibrium of pistons with different radii (Hydraulics)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 2K views
Z3nt4r0

Homework Statement


pG94do.jpg
[/B]

Homework Equations


Force exerted by liquids
F=h.d.g.A

The Attempt at a Solution


Gy5nq3.jpg
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If the radius of piston B is 4 times the radius of piston A, how much larger is the area of piston B than piston A?
 
phyzguy said:
If the radius of piston B is 4 times the radius of piston A, how much larger is the area of piston B than piston A?
4 times?
 
phyzguy said:
Yes, but can you explain why?
I am not quite sure so I guess not. Can you explain me how to solve the problem?
 
Your approach was right, you just got the areas wrong. You should go back and review how to calculate the area of a circle.
 
phyzguy said:
Your approach was right, you just got the areas wrong. You should go back and review how to calculate the area of a circle.
I just realized that pistons were cylindrical lol

So while piston A has an area of Pi number x r^2 piston B has an area of Pi number x 4r^2

If, for example, radius of piston a is 1, piston b's radius will be 4, making piston b's area 16 times bigger than piston a's.

So the answer to the question is 16. Am I right now?
 
Chestermiller said:
What are h, d, and g in your equation?
Height, density, and gravity.