1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equilibrium Problem - Forces acting on beam supports

1. Nov 23, 2009 #1
    1. A 160-kg horizontal beam is supported at each end. A 300-kg piano rests a quarter of the way from one end. What is the vertical force on each of the supports?

2. Summation of Forces in the y = 0.

3. Going off the above equation, I *think* it would be that ΣFy=0=Fy-Fg-Fp, which would become Fg+Fp=Fy. However, I am not sure if this logic is correct, and I'm unsure where to go from there.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2009 #2
    this question involves moments about a point. so firsty you want to draw a diagram of where all the forces are. so you have two supports (call them A and B) and the mass of beam will be halfway between them (0.5L) and the mass of the piano will be a quater the distance from support A( 0.25L).

now you want to take moments about point A, to find the force acting on support B, and then moments about point B, to find the force acting on support A.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook