1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equilibrium problem involving cube root

1. May 15, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The reaction 2Fe3+ + Ni(s) = 2Fe2+ + Ni2+ has equilibrium constant K = 1.5E34. What is the concentration of Fe3+ at equilibrium if a lot of Ni(s) is added to a 0.1 M solution of Fe3+ that initially contains no Fe2+?

3. The attempt at a solution

K = 4x3/(0.1-2x)2

My plan is to find x. [Fe3+] is then 0.1-x, but how do I solve this problem involving a cube root?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Disregard the 2x portion in the denominator and the solve for x - if the value of 2x is negligible relative to the 0.1 than you've got a good approximation of the actual answer - read in your text or confer with your teacher to find out what constitutes "negligible".
  4. May 16, 2008 #3

May I suggest double-checking the equilibrium constant value. GCT's suggestion will apply if the K is very small. However as written, K is very large and may affect what is negligible.
  5. May 17, 2008 #4
    K is correct.

I found this in the solutions manual:

K = [Fe2+]2[Ni2+]/[Fe3+]2 = 1/[Fe3+]2

but why is [Fe2+]2[Ni2+] = 1 ??
  6. May 17, 2008 #5
    It is a curious approximation. I'm not sure how to explain it.

Another approach: If K is so large, how does adding the Ni(s) reactant shift the equilibrium, and what does that indicate about [Fe3+] and its initial concentration?

There is an approximation that could be made but I would look at the [0.1 - 2x]2 term and think about the change the equilibrium.
  7. May 17, 2008 #6

Staff: Mentor

No idea. I would say it is 5*10-4. To get this number simply follow eli64 advice. If K is so large, where is the equilibrium? How much Fe3+ is left?
    Last edited: May 17, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?