Equilibrium Calculation for Fe3O4-CO Reaction at 600°C and 5.00 atm

• Thread starter cheme2019
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equilibrium
In summary, a reaction between Fe3O4 and CO occurred at 600°C and 5.00 atm, with 1 mole of Fe3O4, 2 moles of CO, 0.5 moles of FeO, and 0.3 moles of CO2 initially present. The equilibrium constant, Kp, was given as 1.15. After constructing a RICE table and assuming Δn = 0, the equation 1.15 = (.3+x)/(2-x) was obtained. However, the solution should result in x = 0.93 instead of 0.482. It is recommended to double check the calculations.
cheme2019

Homework Statement

The Reaction
Fe3O4(s) + CO(g) ↔ 3 FeO(s) + CO2(g)
took place at 600°C and at a constant total pressure of 5.00 atm. Determine the amount of each substance at equilibrium if there were 1 mole of Fe3O4, 2 moles of CO, .5 moles of FeO, and .3 moles of CO2 originally present in the mixture and knowing that Kp = 1.15.

Homework Equations

Kp = Kc* (R* T)^Δn

The Attempt at a Solution

So I've written out my RICE table. I assumed since Δn = 0 that Kc = Kp that I would be able to use Kc in my equation. Because the activities of solids is 1, I can assume they won't impact the equilibrium equation. My solution looked like
1.15 = (.3+x)/(2-x) which goes to x = .482. However the solution says that x should be .93. I'm not sure where I went wrong. Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your math.

Likes Bystander

1. What is equilibrium?

Equilibrium is a state of balance or stability in a system. In terms of chemistry, it refers to a point at which the rate of a forward reaction is equal to the rate of the reverse reaction, resulting in no net change in the concentrations of reactants and products.

2. How is equilibrium achieved in a chemical reaction?

Equilibrium is achieved when the rate of the forward reaction is equal to the rate of the reverse reaction. This can be achieved by varying factors such as temperature, pressure, and concentration of reactants and products. Altering these factors can shift the equilibrium in either the forward or reverse direction.

3. What are some common activities used to demonstrate equilibrium?

Some common activities used to demonstrate equilibrium include the iodine clock reaction, the Haber process, and the effect of temperature on the solubility of a solid in a liquid.

4. What is Le Chatelier's principle and how does it relate to equilibrium?

Le Chatelier's principle states that when a system at equilibrium is subjected to a change, the system will shift in a way to counteract the change and maintain equilibrium. This principle can be used to predict the direction of the shift in equilibrium when a factor such as temperature, pressure, or concentration is altered.

5. How does equilibrium play a role in everyday life?

Equilibrium is important in everyday life because many natural processes and reactions rely on it. For example, the equilibrium of carbon dioxide and oxygen in the atmosphere is crucial for the survival of plants and animals. Equilibrium is also important in industrial processes, such as the production of ammonia in the Haber process, and in pharmaceuticals, where maintaining equilibrium can affect the effectiveness of a drug.