Equilibrium Statistics -- Euler summation formula

In summary: T##.@TSnyI am sorry I am confused, isn't the expression of the type: $$1/(1+x+y+\ldots)$$already a Taylor expansion in ##x## and ##y##?So going one order higher in the expansion of the denominator means to go one order higher in all the powers of ##\theta_{rot}/T##, so that in my case I should have written ##1-1/3 \frac{\theta_{rot}}{T}+\frac{2}{45} \frac{\theta_{rot}^2}{T^2}+\ldots##, am I
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member

Homework Statement

In the calculation in high temperatures of ##Z_{rot} = (\sum_{j=0}^\infty (2j+1)\exp{j(j+1)\theta_{rot}/T})^N##; they use Euler summation formula:

$$\sum_{n=0}^\infty f(n) = \int_0^\infty f(x)dx+\frac{1}{2}f(0)-\frac{1}{12}f'(0)+\frac{1}{720}f^{(3)}(0)+\ldots$$

for ##f(x) = (2x+1)\exp{x(x+1)\theta_{rot}/T}##.

Now they get that: ##Z_{rot} = \bigg(T/\theta_{rot}+1/3+\theta_{rot}/(15T)+\ldots \bigg)^N##.

Now as for the third term I did the calculation and I get a minus sign, i.e. I believe it should be: ##-\theta_{rot}/(15T)## instead of ##+\theta_{rot}/(15T)##.

I get that the factor that multiplies ##\theta_{rot}/T## is ##12/720-1/12##.

Am I right or wrong?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Should the argument of the exponential function in ##Z_{rot}## and ##f(x)## have an overall negative sign? If not, I don't see how ##\int_0^\infty f(x) dx## could converge.

@TSny You are correct there should be a minus sign in the argument of the exponential, but in the Solution Manual it doesn't appear.
But in that case I think it should be -1/3 and not +1/3.

MathematicalPhysicist said:

Homework Statement

In the calculation in high temperatures of ##Z_{rot} = (\sum_{j=0}^\infty (2j+1)\exp{j(j+1)\theta_{rot}/T})^N##; they use Euler summation formula:

$$\sum_{n=0}^\infty f(n) = \int_0^\infty f(x)dx+\frac{1}{2}f(0)-\frac{1}{12}f'(0)+\frac{1}{720}f^{(3)}(0)+\ldots$$

for ##f(x) = (2x+1)\exp{x(x+1)\theta_{rot}/T}##.

Now they get that: ##Z_{rot} = \bigg(T/\theta_{rot}+1/3+\theta_{rot}/(15T)+\ldots \bigg)^N##.

Now as for the third term I did the calculation and I get a minus sign, i.e. I believe it should be: ##-\theta_{rot}/(15T)## instead of ##+\theta_{rot}/(15T)##.

I get that the factor that multiplies ##\theta_{rot}/T## is ##12/720-1/12##.

Am I right or wrong?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Please either use parentheses or ##e^{a}## instead of ##\exp(a)##. From what you wrote it is impossible to tell whether you want to compute
##\sum (2j+1) e^{j(j+1)} \theta/T## or ##\sum (2j+1) e^{j(j+1) \theta}/T## or ##\sum (2j+1) e^{j(j+1) \theta/T}##. Using "exp" these would be ##\sum (2j+1) \exp(j(j+1))\, \theta/T## or ##\sum (2j+1) \exp((j(j+1) \theta) /T## or ##\sum (2j+1) \exp((j(j+1) \theta/T)##. Using a "solidus" fraction ##\frac a b## would be even better"
$$\sum (2j+1) \frac{\exp(j(j+1)) \theta}{T}$$ or $$ \sum (2j+1) \frac{\exp(j(j+1) \theta)}{T}$$ or $$ \sum (2j+1) \exp \left( \frac{j(j+1) \theta}{T} \right)$$
And, of course, there is the issue of the missing "-" sign.

Also: does the Euler summation formula really go from ##f^{\prime}(0)## to ##f^{(3)}(0)##, skipping over ##f^{\prime \prime}(0)## altogether?

Last edited:
It should be: $$\sum (2j+1)\exp{\bigg(\frac{j(j+1)\theta_{rot}}{T}\bigg)}$$

It should be: $$\sum (2j+1)\exp{\bigg(\frac{j(j+1)\theta_{rot}}{T}\bigg)}$$
Shouldn't that have a "-" sign in the ##\exp(\cdots)##? If not, you have a divergent series (unless ##\theta_{rot}/T < 0##).

No, a minus sign is indeed missing in the SM; and as far as I can tell ##\theta_{rot}/T>0##, as I wrote this approximation(?) is used for high temperatures, i.e ##T \gg \theta_{rot} ##.

BTW, you can find this SM scanned in the net; it's in the solution of problem 2.8 in the book by Bergersen's and Plischke's.

@TSny You are correct there should be a minus sign in the argument of the exponential, but in the Solution Manual it doesn't appear.
But in that case I think it should be -1/3 and not +1/3.
I get +1/3. It comes from a combination of +1/2 and -1/6. The +1/2 is from (1/2)f(0) and the -1/6 is from -(1/12)f'(0).

Likes MathematicalPhysicist
@TSny ok I agree it doesn't get changed.

In which case it's indeed ##+1/15 (\theta_{rot}/T)## and not ##-1/15 (\theta_{rot}/T)##, and what's wrong in the book is the missing sign in the exponential, am I correct?

@TSny ok I agree it doesn't get changed.

In which case it's indeed ##+1/15 (\theta_{rot}/T)## and not ##-1/15 (\theta_{rot}/T)##, and what's wrong in the book is the missing sign in the exponential, am I correct?
Yes, I think so.

@TSny , @Ray Vickson after correcting the minus sign in the exponential; I have yet another minus sign problem which I want to correct or ask for your corroboration:

They write in the SM that:

$$E = \frac{\partial}{\partial \beta} \ln Z_{rot} = Nk_B T \frac{1-\frac{\theta_{rot}^2}{15T^2}+\ldots}{1+1/3 \frac{\theta_{rot}}{T}+\frac{\theta_{rot}^2}{15T^2}+\ldots}$$

But in the numerator I get that it should be: ##-1+\frac{\theta_{rot}^2}{15T^2}+\ldots##; I believe this expression for ##E## with the derivative is the definition of the internal energy, so I guess again a minus sign is missing here, am I correct?

TSny said:
Yes, a minus sign is missing in the expression for ##E##.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parti...s)#Calculating_the_thermodynamic_total_energy
Thanks.

There's another thing that get me to scratch my hair metaphorically speaking;

They write that the series expansion of the above ##E## should be: ##E_{rot}=Nk_BT(1-\frac{\theta_{rot}}{3T}-\frac{2\theta_{rot}^2}{45T^2}+\ldots)##, but I get that instead of 45 it should be 15;

Where I have expanded:
$$1/(1+1/3 (\theta_{rot}/T)+(\theta_{rot}^2/(15T^2)+\ldots) = 1-\bigg[1/3 (\theta_{rot}/T)+(\theta_{rot}^2/(15T^2)+\ldots\bigg]$$

Have they got it wrong, yet again?
:-D

Where I have expanded:
$$1/(1+1/3 (\theta_{rot}/T)+(\theta_{rot}^2/(15T^2)+\ldots) = 1-\bigg[1/3 (\theta_{rot}/T)+(\theta_{rot}^2/(15T^2)+\ldots\bigg]$$
I haven't checked their answer, but you will need to go one order higher in your expansion of the denominator to get all of the ##\theta_{rot}^2/T^2## contributions.

I agree I forgot ##\bigg[ 1/3 \theta/T + \theta^2/(15T^2) +\ldots\bigg]^2##.

I get with this that the factor that multiplies ##\theta^2/T^2## is ##-2/15+1/9 = (-6+5)/45=-1/45##, is this correct?

I agree I forgot ##\bigg[ 1/3 \theta/T + \theta^2/(15T^2) +\ldots\bigg]^2##.

I get with this that the factor that multiplies ##\theta^2/T^2## is ##-2/15+1/9 = (-6+5)/45=-1/45##, is this correct?
Yes, I think that's right even though it doesn't agree with their factor of ##-2/45## as given in post #13.

1. What is the Euler summation formula?

The Euler summation formula is a mathematical formula used in equilibrium statistics to approximate the sum of a series by integrating the terms of the series. It is named after the Swiss mathematician Leonhard Euler.

2. How is the Euler summation formula derived?

The Euler summation formula is derived using the Euler-Maclaurin formula, which is a generalization of the trapezoidal rule for numerical integration. It involves taking the integral of the error function, which is then subtracted from the final result to obtain a more accurate approximation of the series sum.

3. What is the significance of the Euler summation formula in equilibrium statistics?

The Euler summation formula is commonly used in equilibrium statistics to approximate the sum of a series when the terms of the series are not easily calculated. It allows for a more accurate estimation of the series sum, as compared to simply truncating the series at a certain point.

4. What are some applications of the Euler summation formula?

The Euler summation formula has many applications in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and finance. It is commonly used to approximate the value of infinite series in numerical analysis and to calculate various integrals in mathematical physics and statistics.

5. Are there any limitations to the use of the Euler summation formula?

While the Euler summation formula is a useful tool for approximating series sums, it has its limitations. It may not work well for series with rapidly increasing or oscillating terms, and it may also produce inaccurate results if the error function is not well-behaved. Additionally, the formula may be computationally expensive for large series.