1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equivalence of prime power decompositions

1. Mar 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let G be a finitely generated abelian group and let T_p be the subgroup of all elements having order some power of a prime p. Suppose

[tex] T_p \simeq \mathbb{Z}_{p^{r_1}} \times \mathbb{Z}_{p^{r_2}} \times \cdots \times \mathbb{Z}_{p^{r_m }} \simeq \mathbb{Z}_{p^{s_1}} \times \mathbb{Z}_{p^{s_2}} \times \cdots \times \mathbb{Z}_{p^{s_m }[/tex]

where [tex]1 \leq r_1 \leq \cdots \leq r_m[/tex] and similarly for the s_i.

Prove that n = m and s_i = r_i for all i. Hint: first prove r_1 = s_1 and then use induction.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can prove that n = m.

Let phi be the isomorphism from the middle group to the right hand group in the line above. Under phi, the generator of [itex]\mathbb{Z}_{p^{r_1}}[/itex] needs to generate a copy of [itex]\mathbb{Z}_{p^{r_1}}[/itex] in the group on the RHS and similarly the generator of [itex]\mathbb{Z}_{p^{s_1}} [/itex] needs to generate a copy of that group under phi^{-1}, but that doesn't really prove that r_1 = s_1. How can you really use the fact that r_i and s_i are minimal? How can you say anything about the factorization just knowing that e.g the right hand group contains a copy of [itex]\mathbb{Z}_{p^{r_1}}[/itex]?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2008 #2
  4. Mar 6, 2008 #3
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?