Equivalence of Unimodular (Quadratic)forms on Abelian groups

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Equivalence Groups
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Messages
7,908
Reaction score
13,226
Hi, everyone:

I have been looking for a while without success, for the definition of equivalence for
unimodular quadratic forms defined on Abelian groups .
I have found instead ,t the def. of equivalence in the more common case where the two forms Q,Q' are defined on vector spaces , and the definition has to see with matrices
in Sl_n(Z) . It makes sense that the equivalence of unimodular forms has to see with
matrices in Sl_n(Z) , since these have determinant +/- 1 . But it is not too clear to me
how we would define this equivalence if instead we had Q,Q' unimodular ,defined on Abelian groups A,A' respectively. Anyone know?.

Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure, but I would consider group algebras like ##\mathbb{Z}[A]## to get the two different operations needed.