1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equivalence Relations, Cardinality and Finite Sets.

1. Dec 5, 2013 #1
    Hey everyone, I have three problems that I'm working on that are review questions for my Math Final.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

First Question: Determine if R is an equivalence relation: R = {(x,y) [itex]\in[/itex] [itex]Z[/itex] x [itex]Z[/itex] | x - y =5}
    and find the equivalence classes.
    Is [itex]Z[/itex] | R a partition?

2. Relevant equations

An equivalence class R is reflexive, symmetric and transitive.

3. The attempt at a solution

First Question: So I know I have to check reflexivity, symmetricity and transitivity. It seems this relation fails the reflexivity test. Since xRx = {(x,x) -> x-x=5} and x-x ≠ 5. Since it fails, if I'm correct, can I still find equivalence classes and partitions?

Second Question: Show that |[itex]Z[/itex]+ x [itex]Z[/itex] +| → |[itex]Z[/itex]+| (Where [itex]Z[/itex]+ represents all positive integers)...
    by showing that [itex]Z[/itex]+ x [itex]Z[/itex]+ → [itex]Z[/itex]+ is a bijection.

2. Relevant equations

A function is bijective if it is one-to-one and onto.

Second Question: I know that I have to show that if f(x)=f(y) then x=y but I don't know how to structure it. Also I have to show that f(x) = y [itex]\in[/itex] [itex]Z[/itex]+.

Third Question: Prove that if n [itex]\in[/itex] [itex]N[/itex] , f:In → B and f is onto then B is finite and |B| < n.

2. Relevant equations

Third Question: I don't even know where to begin. I'm not looking for an answer, just more of where to look, where to start..a break down of the concepts addressed in the question would be most helpful.

Thanks!

2. Relevant equations

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2013 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your example shows that this is not an equivalence relation, because it is not reflexive. So there are no equivalence classes and there is no partition. End of story.

4. Dec 5, 2013 #3

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, you can't show these properties of ##f## without first defining ##f##. Try to construct a function ##f : \mathbb{Z}^+ \times \mathbb{Z}^+ \rightarrow \mathbb{Z}^+## which is bijective, and then verify that it is bijective. Hint: consider a diagonal argument.

5. Dec 5, 2013 #4

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can you clarify the notation? What does "In" refer to?

P.S. In the future, it would be better to create separate threads for each question, unless they are closely related.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted