Equivalences (me trying to understand an example)

• Thread starter PsychonautQQ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Example
In summary, the symbol ≈ is used to represent the equivalence relation between two integers, m and n, where m-n is even. This relation is applied on the set of all integers, Z. The notations [0] and [1] represent the equivalence classes of even and odd integers respectively. The notation x→Z is used to indicate that x is an element of Z. Therefore, x≈0 means that x-0 is even, which is equivalent to saying that x is an even integer.
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

I'll be using ≈ as the equivalence symbol.

If m and n are integers, define m≈n to mean that m-n is even. Then ≈ is an equivalence on Z.

and
[0] = {x→Z | x≈0} is the set of even integers
[1] = {x→Z | x≈1} is the set of odd integers

where the x→Z was used to represent X is an element of Z.

So basically I'm having trouble making sense of this...
x≈0 means x-0, and if that has an equivalenet class of [0] somehow that means it's even? Can somebody try to explain what's going on here to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
PsychonautQQ said:

Homework Statement

If m and n are integers, define m≈n to mean that m-n is even. Then ≈ is an equivalence on Z.
and

x≈0 means x-0, and if that has an equivalenet class of [0] somehow that means it's even? Can somebody try to explain what's going on here to me?

[0] and [1] are notations for equivalence classes. All elements of, say, [0] are related to 0 via the equivalence relation. This means that [0], for example, contains all integers, x, such that x ≈ 0. What does x≈0 mean? It means that for any x in the integers, x - 0 = x is even. Well this is simply the set of all even integers.

Does [1] now make sense?

Likes 1 person
PsychonautQQ said:

Here, have an \in symbol: ∈

If you're going to use plain text, you can copy and paste that symbol instead of that rather confusing arrow. You can also use LaTeX. Type
Code:
##[0]=\{x\in\mathbb Z|x\approx 0\}##
to get ##[0]=\{x\in\mathbb Z|x\approx 0\}##. See the FAQ post for more information.

PsychonautQQ said:

Homework Statement

I'll be using ≈ as the equivalence symbol.

and

x≈0 means x-0
It means that x-0 is an even number and since x- 0= x, that is the same as saying x os an even number.

, and if that has an equivalenet class of [0] somehow that means it's even? Can somebody try to explain what's going on here to me?

1. What are equivalences?

Equivalences refer to the relationship between two or more things that have the same value, meaning, or function. It means that these things are interchangeable or can be substituted for each other without changing the overall result.

2. How do equivalences work?

Equivalences work by establishing a connection between two or more things based on their similarities. This connection allows for the substitution of one thing with another without changing the overall outcome or meaning.

3. What is an example of equivalences?

An example of equivalences is the relationship between a dollar and four quarters. Both have the same value of 100 cents and can be used interchangeably to make a purchase of one dollar.

4. How are equivalences different from equalities?

Equivalences and equalities are similar in that they both refer to a relationship between two or more things. However, equivalences focus on the interchangeable nature of things, while equalities focus on the exact sameness of things.

5. Why is understanding equivalences important?

Understanding equivalences is important because it allows us to see the connections and similarities between things, which can help us solve problems and make connections in various fields such as mathematics, science, and language.