1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equivalences (me trying to understand an example)

1. Jun 10, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'll be using ≈ as the equivalence symbol.

If m and n are integers, define m≈n to mean that m-n is even. Then ≈ is an equivalence on Z.

and
    [0] = {x→Z | x≈0} is the set of even integers
    [1] = {x→Z | x≈1} is the set of odd integers

where the x→Z was used to represent X is an element of Z.

So basically i'm having trouble making sense of this...
    x≈0 means x-0, and if that has an equivalenet class of [0] somehow that means it's even? Can somebody try to explain what's going on here to me?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2014 #2

CAF123

Gold Member

[0] and [1] are notations for equivalence classes. All elements of, say, [0] are related to 0 via the equivalence relation. This means that [0], for example, contains all integers, x, such that x ≈ 0. What does x≈0 mean? It means that for any x in the integers, x - 0 = x is even. Well this is simply the set of all even integers.

Does [1] now make sense?

4. Jun 10, 2014 #3

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here, have an \in symbol: ∈

If you're going to use plain text, you can copy and paste that symbol instead of that rather confusing arrow. You can also use LaTeX. Type
    Code (Text):
    ##[0]=\{x\in\mathbb Z|x\approx 0\}##
    to get ##[0]=\{x\in\mathbb Z|x\approx 0\}##. See the FAQ post for more information.

5. Jun 10, 2014 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It means that x-0 is an even number and since x- 0= x, that is the same as saying x os an even number.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted